What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus pitcher life span...

MrFus

Do you like that...
I know this has been asked before for Nepenthes, but what about Cephalotus?

Based on your experience with this plant, how long is the average life span for a adult pitcher? and how long will be on a young one?

If healthy....5-6 months. For me at least.

...too long to keep track of

well had a plant for 9 months and it did not drop pitchers while i had it, only thing it did was grew more, i would wonder ifthese suffer from same sorta thing at the vft ,where if they get too much food in a trap it will die off.

I have had mature Cephalotus -- particularly the larger cultivars -- keep their adult pitchers (also the occasional juveniles) for well over a year, only to be replaced by new leaves that following Fall; those grown consistently under higher Tb conditions tended to have shorter pitcher life-spans and more frequent wholesale die-backs in my experience.

The "vegetative" non-carnivorous leaves can last a couple of years at least, judging how long they have remained after callusing, rooting, and producing new plants.

The large pitcher in the photo below -- taken as it reached maturation in Spring 2007 -- is currently over fifteen months old, and is only now looking a bit worse for wear . . .

CEPH.jpg

My advice to those desiring longer-lasting plants and pitcher leaves is to simply grow Cephalotus as you would a highland Nepenthes -- reasonably warm days (not exceeding 25˚C too terribly often) and cool nights . . .

Since the pitchers take months to develop (at least for me), I would hope they last a long time.

Totally agree with bigbella. my ceph pitchers have lasted almost for an year now and the only reason is due to the low temps in my basement.

mmm...

I ask because my ceph just loose a couple of pitchers after maybe 2 or 3 months, I can see a group of new ones growing but I wasn't sure how long on average the pitchers life span is on cephalotus and I get kind of worried...

mmm...

I ask because my ceph just loose a couple of pitchers after maybe 2 or 3 months, I can see a group of new ones growing but I wasn't sure how long on average the pitchers life span is on cephalotus and I get kind of worried...

There will typically be a rapid turnover of Cephalotus leaves in overly warm and humid environments -- any great departure from their native SW Australian climate, where Tbs seldom exceed 25˚C (77˚F) even in summer; if that is the case, simply provide a bit more ventilation, cooler climes, and they will last far longer . . .

I think the temperature and humidity levels here are what is afecting the pitchers... I keep it outdoors during the day, arround 80 to 90˚F and a humidity of 60 to 80%.

I take it inside as soon I get from work and I give it a night drop to 60˚F and... I'm not sure about humidity :grin: .

I hope this don't turn to be a problem on long term for my cephalotus. :down:

I've had my largest Cephalotus for approximately 18 months and have never had to remove a dead pitcher. The climate here is cool, so that may contibute to pitcher longevity.

I wondered the same thing.

My typical Ceph is still throwing out adult pitchers. The oldest pitchers are 8 months old and show no sign of deterioration. Far different than Nep pitchers........

One of my new Cephalotus pitchers just turned brown. I'm a little worried because it was a new leaf that wasn't fully developed.

Back