What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora from seed . . .

Well, it has taken about three years from the point of germination (at about six weeks), but two Heliamphora tatei var. tatei grown from seed (obtained from a college classmate living in Chuspa, Venezuela), are finally producing adult-type pitchers. This particular "red variant" could eventually produce bright crimson pitchers some 46 cm (18") tall; but, considering that they were produced from seed and not vegetatively cloned from parent stock -- with all of the genetic crap-shoot seed production involves -- only time will tell . . .

Htatei.jpg
Htatei2.jpg

They look very nice. Good luck with them! :)

Very nice. How rewarding. How many do you have growing from seed?

xvart.

Very nice. How rewarding. How many do you have growing from seed?

xvart.

Currently, I have only the two. I gave away or sold about a dozen of those plants, along with some seed-grown H. pulchella -- both juveniles -- back in 2006. I don't know what became of them . . .

They look happy, well done !

They look very happy. I like the red blush they have.

Crystal

Wow! How tall are those now, at 3 years?

Wow! How tall are those now, at 3 years?

The largest plant has pitchers only about 15 cm (6") or so in height but still a welcomed sight after scores of those typical juvenile leaves -- that and a show of a couple of really freak show intermediates last year . . .

They look very happy. I like the red blush they have.

Crystal

Thanks. The pitcher on the left just opened, hasn't quite completely formed, and I am curious to see its final colour. The parent plants were huge and deep red at maturity -- almost black in some light . . .

Cute :3 Looking great! :) (1500th post :3)

Back