What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is i that....

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The pitchers on my Darlingtonia are obviously being chewed open while my Sarracenias aren't?

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

In a blind taste test 9 out of 10 insects preferred Darlingtonia.

On occasion I go out to the porch and check out the activity. I always see wasps and yellow jackets exploring the Sarracenias but never the Darlingtonia. I don't see how they get in the Darlingtonia! It's almost as if they are chewing their way in instead of out and yet I don't see them go in. Strange...

My Darlingtonia and Sarracenia pitchers are always filled with insects. Yet when I watch them I see flies landing and crawling under the lids and around the peristome of the Sarracenia and almost never falling in.

I almost never see insects around the Darlingtonia except for one time I saw a fly land on top of one of the hoods and immediately crawl underneath into opening. It buzzed around for a couple of seconds and dropped down the tube.

*must spend more time with my pets*

could be they're tender-er? :)

I too have never witnessed a darling catch a bug, but there are carcassas to prove it so... :) Good luck fining the culprit Jim!

you have to realize, when an insect crawls into the hood of the darlingtonia, it has the hood to crawl around inside before hitting the pitcher itself, If an insect like small grasshopper or caterpiller were to crawl inside, it could crawl to the top of the hood, rather than to the back of the pitcher, chew its way out, and so forth and so on, ive observed this twice with my darlingtonia with small earwigs.

Back