What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you JAM JAR cephalotus follicularis ;-)

You can grow any plant in any conditions you wish.

The crux is: what conditions are best? I can think of many ways I'd rather grow a Ceph than "jam jarring" it.

I'm sure it's possible and that others have tried it with some success but if you're a beginner, why set yourself up for failure, especially with a relatively expensive plant?

BigBella, I've been to deleted, and he had many plants that WEREN'T in shallow undrained pots. Cephalotus were one of those.

Noddy, try not to experiment with any plant that is over even $10.00. Imagine a grower who doesn't have Cephalotus. If you end up failing, that grower who didn't have one wouldn't like that too much.

Then there's the plant. It could grow like that, but would it like it? Probably not. Cephalotus grow not standing in water, but in an area where it's: close to the water but not standing in it, where there's airy soil, and where there's lot's of light. With a jar, it would create unnecessary humidity, excess water, and root rot. Please spare that poor little Cephalotus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll chime in once more - Cephs don't need humidity. They regulate their own humidity; that's why they have the hairs on their leaves. If you want to experiment with different methods, that's great - curiosity and investigation are good things - but keep the plant's natural ecology in mind when you do. And seeing as many experienced growers have trouble keeping Cephs in recommended conditions, it's advisable that you try it the traditional way first so that you know what to look for. If normal cultivation proves easy, then you'll have plenty of offsets to experiment on for free.
~Joe

BigBella, I've been to deleted, and he had many plants that WEREN'T in shallow undrained pots. Cephalotus were one of those.

Noddy, try not to experiment with any plant that is over even $10.00. Imagine a grower who doesn't have Cephalotus. If you end up failing, that grower who didn't have one wouldn't like that too much.

Then there's the plant. It could grow like that, but would it like it? Probably not. Cephalotus grow not standing in water, but in an area where it's: close to the water but not standing in it, where there's airy soil, and where there's lot's of light. With a jar, it would create unnecessary humidity, excess water, and root rot. Please spare that poor little Cephalotus.

D'Amato has had Cephalotus plants (among a great many others), both in drained and undrained conditions over the years, and I still recall his old Healdsburg location from way back; but he also knows what he is doing on a regular basis. I have also grown Cephalotus undrained, both as I described in my previous post and as a healthy flowering component in a small table-top bog garden with Heliamphora, Drosera, and Sarracenia for several years without any problems whatsoever.

We're not really talking about using a Smucker's jar to grow a plant, are we? If we are, I do have fondness for their grape . . .

There's more than one way to grow a CP!. Mine do just fine in a typical drained, plastic pot, in a plastic drawer organizer, at a south window. I mix sand and peat and have a layer of LFS on top. I top water every few days. They are in with Pyro's U. alpina. I also have a leaf cutting growing in live LFS. One thing that has been shared in other threads is to mound the media, which helps with drainage.

DSCF1774.jpg

There's one behind the D. regia:

DSCF1740.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

If your really set on growing in a jar, I would suggest getting a piece of driftwood then planting the wood in the soil and mounting a small division onto the driftwood above the soil. This will fix a few of the problems and allow the base of the plant some air while keeping it evenly moist. When/If the ceph roots down into the water the roots will/should adjust to the wetter medium. Just keep the soil wet enough to allow the driftwood to wick up to the base of the plant. You would of coarse need to sterilize all the soil/wood and whatnot. And then allow a month or so to check for fungus and mold, and combat it if it appeared. And maybe run an air pump hose into the jar to allow some air exchange. Just seems like a ton of work for what? A substandard growing area?

Humidity is not a problem for ceph's from my experiences, I have a few in 99% humidity vivariums/paludariums and they are not showing any issues. They don't need it but its not hurting them either. Now lack of air movement could can be a big issue. I'm growing most of mine in unconvientional methods but jarring seems a little to close to dead plant to me.

But as everyone has already said, this is not a good idea for a whole long list of reasons.

If you want to try something unconvientional try using African Violet self water planters or mounting cephs to driftwood, I'm using both of these with no issues at all.

Back