What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperate CP Dormancy

Hi! I read threads and websites of what to do when you temperate cp's go into dormancy but they are so complicated(I am young, please don't blame me). Can you guys tell me what to do when my plants go into dormancy? Please tell me if I left any thing out:)

Thanks~ Polywer2345 :hail::hail::hail::hail:

What plants, specifically?

I would guess Sarracenia and Darlingtonia.

The winter in the Los Angeles area is probably cold enough for these, although the mountain population Darlingtonia may be unhappy long term.

Just cut back on the watering. You don't need to keep them soaking as during the active growing seasons, but don't let them dry out. Trim off brown parts of leaves if you wish.

I can't speak to darlingtonia, but sarras do just fine for me in LA.

Update:

They look dormant, but I'm not sure. Here are pics:

Growth Points:

pictures-bremdon029-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon025-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon024-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon018-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon017-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon010-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon008-1.jpg

Plants:

pictures-bremdon001-1.jpg

pictures-bremdon005.jpg

pictures-bremdon008.jpg

pictures-bremdon015.jpg

pictures-bremdon016.jpg

pictures-bremdon024.jpg

I also have a few questions:

Why is the vft having low lying traps near the point?

Are my plants dormant yet?

When willl they be dormant if not dormant yet?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Why isn't my S. flava producing phyllodia?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

That is definately winter buds on those Sarracenia. They are dormant. As the days become longer, you will see them suddenly put out new leaves again.

They're all asleep.

S. flava produces phyllodia in late summer and autumn by the way (or phyllodiform pitchers). The last phyllodia will have been grown some weeks ago.

@ Polywer I saw you at the LACPS meeting :)

Questions for NaN, since he lives near us.

Can we leave the plants outside?

Also, can we leave some Tropical drosera outside, (not nepenthese), since it doesnt get too cold?

@ Polywer I saw you at the LACPS meeting :)

Questions for NaN, since he lives near us.

Can we leave the plants outside?

Also, can we leave some Tropical drosera outside, (not nepenthese), since it doesnt get too cold?

It has been getting down to 42F in my area at night. You can leave the Sarracenia and Dionaea outside at night. Depending on the species of Drosera you can probably leave them outdoors. I've moved most of my South African Drosera indoors as they don't seem to like the low 40's or colder. Cape Town averages around 7C (44F) in the winter. I left my Drosera capensis outdoors.

I would bring everything indoors except Darlingtonia if we get a cold snap with the temps in the mid-low 30's.

Back