What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Heliamphora updates . . .

Well, it finally looks like one of my Heliamphora sarracenioides will finally send up an adult pitcher, but it has been truly slow going (though not quite as slow as H. elongata); and an H. ionasii that I grew from seed back in 2005 is also sending up its first adult leaves. The H. folliculata plants are now more and more characteristic of the species and are showing good color -- and have a real penchant for wasps . . .

H. sarracenioides
Hsarracenoides2.jpg
Hsarracenioides.jpg

H. ionasii
Hionasii-D.jpg

H. folliculata
Hfolliculata.jpg
HF.jpg
folliculata.jpg

H. heterodoxa x ionasii
H-hetxionasii.jpg

Beautiful! They're looking extremely well :-O

Beautiful! They're looking extremely well :-O

Thanks, but I was having a bit of a problem recently with pests -- wasps in particular. They were drilling or chewing through nectar spoons and then quite suddenly stopped. I found two sizable wasps in a H. folliculata pitcher yesterday.

Serves them damn right . . .

Great pics, plz keep us updated.

I love the simplicity of Heliamphora. They look like sculpted vases.

I love the form and coloration of that unopened H. ionassii pitcher!

Once again, excellent growing!

I love the form and coloration of that unopened H. ionassii pitcher!

Once again, excellent growing!

Thanks, and I managed to add a couple more shots as the pitcher opened. I had the chance to germinate a few seeds some years back and I am certainly glad that I kept at least one of the H. ionasii. That particular plant is all over the place by now and is a particularly large variety. Hopefully, that trait is carried over into its seed . . .

Back