What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My seeds, a few questions.

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Ok, I know I am gonna have more questions so I am gonna just make this topic for any that come up. So first I took out S. purpurea ssp. purpurea seed from brownfield Maine 10 days ago. So far I have not had any germination in the seed. How long does it take for seed to germinate?

Did you cold stratify the seeds for 6 weeks? Germination usually is seen from 10 days on if the seeds have been stratified and are viable.

I cold stratified for 5 weeks.

Edit: I just checked the seeds, I noticed a few of them the seed coat was split at the point, but I couldn't tell if they were hollow or not. Is this good or bad? Some are also a darker brown then some like wet wood compared to the few that look the same as when i put them in.

Splitting is a good sign, the radicle should emerge soon. As long as the seeds don't turn black or fuzzy it shouldn't matter colorwise.

Ant,

You got those seeds from me at the NECPS Show. They're from a friend's parents' property and produce VERY dark-maroon pitchers in the late summer/fall and also have a wide ala. They're very nice plants.

You need to cold stratify them for 6-8 weeks. Refer to prior threads on how to do this.

Then, sow them on the Sarracenia medium of your choice and they should germinate. Refer to prior threads on sowing techniques.

They are fresh seed so the germination rate should be high.

Ken

Give them time. I usually see germination within 2-3 weeks. The splitting of the seeds sounds good.

I'd like clarification on damp-off with respect to Sarracenia seedlings. I know there's going to be variation but wouldn't Sarracenias sprout and develop in water or at least very wet conditions?

okay, no real update but, I think about 1/4 of the seed are split now, how long does it take for the radical to emerge?

1 or 2 days I'd say.

thanks, i don't see any radicals though. I am worried.

Ok, the first radicals are appearing! I can clearly see them coming out and pointing down.

Back