What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep enough for Darlingtonia seedlings?

I'm looking to try my hand at Darlingtonia seeds since I got some sar seeds to germinate. Is a 2in deep drawer orgainizer deep enough? I was reading on how their roots are not very deep and wider is better. So what I got it 9in long, 6in wide, and 2in deep. People I read this from grow their Darlingtonia in kitty litter boxes.

Hmm, it probably couldn't hurt to try. I sprouted my Darlingtonia seeds in pots about that deep, or a little deeper. Once they put on mature pitchers, I moved them to something deeper, as I'm an advocate of overpotting. I would use a drained container, myself, but if you've got an account of someone using kitty litter trays and you think you can make it work, give it a shot. I imagine you could do a lot of seeds in a container that size, and it doesn't hurt that they're inexpensive and easy to find. Let us know how it turns out - it's always good to learn about new growing methods.
~Joe

PS - One thing I can say is that you should avoid translucent containers - algae and pests will grow in the moist, well-lit sides of the pot. They'll also heat up more easily, and Darlingtonia certainly won't appreciate that.

Well they drill holes about half an inch from the bottom. The thing I got was 2 bucks and it's light brown. I'll give it a try and in maybe 2-3 years if all goes well then I'll move them up.

I sprouted (among other things) these Darlingtonia in what is only 1.5" deep. But this is just a temporary setup. Actually, I recently moved then to 4" tall pots. Next spring they go into buckets (minibog). Sprouting isn't an issue. It's what to do with them next year and thereafter.

DSCF1741.jpg

I'm looking to try my hand at Darlingtonia seeds since I got some sar seeds to germinate. Is a 2in deep drawer orgainizer deep enough? I was reading on how their roots are not very deep and wider is better. So what I got it 9in long, 6in wide, and 2in deep. People I read this from grow their Darlingtonia in kitty litter boxes.

Darlingtonia are remarkably shallow-rooted and the rhizome is often just below the compost level. I've seen some plants in the field where the rhizome actually travels above rocky ground for a short distance.

Your seedlings should be fine, since it takes upwards of seven to ten years for Darlingtonia to mature from seed . . .

Back