What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do Ceph pitchers and leaves last?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
How long do Ceph pitchers and leaves usually last? (or should last?)

I ask this because my Ceph typical is getting brown spots on it. (I've had this Ceph less than a year BTW) Both pitchers and leaves are getting some spots. Now these pitchers and leaves are from the early spring and are about 9 months old. However, I notice that the newer pitchers and leaves (about 2-3 months new) do not have these brown/rust spots.

I hope that it is only age that is effecting my Ceph and not some disease. What do you think all you veteran Ceph growers?

Cephwithspots.jpg

Nive pech. I am not sure but it may be to wet, since the perlite is green...

Yes, I agree that it may be too wet, but, it's not unusual for sphagnum to go green. For me, my Ceph's pitchers last over a month, probably two months? I don't really take notice.

its age, dont worry about it. i wouldnt worry too much about it being too wet, as it doesnt really look to be. i would try and remove as much of that unslightly green algae or w.e it is though. very nice ceph :p

ceph pitchers can last around a year. I think I have pitchers on my plant from last december.

Well, well well..........

Upon closer examination of my Ceph I noticed the tiniest of tiniest critters on the non-carnivorous leaves.

I believe that they are mites, red mites. Using my 20x magnifying glass I observed their movement. They are so small that I cannot even see legs on them, but they do appear red or reddish-brown. So I am guessing, mites. :censor:

After some choice words of anger, I promptly sprayed the plant with Neem-oil water. That was three days ago and I have applied Neem-oil every day. So far I have not seen them again, but I suspect that they're still lurking about...

Now my question is: Would the mites cause the the brown spots on the older pitchers and leaves?

Back