What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Demise of a Heliamphora

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
It was today that i checked on my heliamphora minor as i pulled on a picther it came out very easily, i soon tried another, the same and the same, the bases were all brown and mushy, it seems that it rotted away, It was in a pure LFS media. However, I have another heli, that one is doing great, its in 1 lsf:.5 peat: .5 Perlite, could the mix had made a difference? The one in the 3 compenet mix is growng vigorously, and all the pitchers are firmly attached.

Any ideas what happened?

I'm not especially knowledgeable on Helis, but it sounds like the media. Helis like good drainage. I grow mine in lava rock, live sphagnum, sand, ceramic chips and peat. Sorry to hear about your loss.
~Joe

Did you have it sitting in water?

It most likely rotted. And different soil mixes are a very important when it comes to other plants.

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like root rot.

I don't have it in water, I mist it everyday, I will cut down on the misting on the healthy one, petmantis's is dying aswell, it too is in pure LFS

Hmm... did the soil smell? Was it all broken down?

Not really, it was still green and lush.

Were the pitchers brown? Or were you just pulling on them for no reason?

I was pulling the pitchers because they were rotten on the base, I was getting rid of the old dried up one and the good ones started falling off.

Back