What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia from lowes

I found one that looked decent so I picked it. I plan to repot it but would you put it in by a window or under grow lights? I'm not sure putting it in the back hallway to have it go dorment is a good idea so I'm thinking to wait out this winter and let it grow til spring then it goes outside. Suggestions?

Oh I so need to go to lowes! XD Its seems like everyone is finding darlingtonia at Lowes!

HMmm must go to lowes one of these days in search for a S. Purpurea, anyone know if there are Lowes' in Canada.

Now that reminds me that I have to cut the pitchers off my darlings for their dormancy!.

I got a darling from Lowes like 2 weeks ago, i repoted it, and since i wanted it to rest i just too the plant in its new pot and stuck it in the cube it came in ( i washed the cube with hot water and soap, then rinsed under hot water to get out all the germs) now its in the fridge, it was only out of its cube for like 30 minutes and so far it even grew a pitcherin the fridge!!

Kamil

Hey JMurphy,

I picked up a Lowes Cobra about a month ago and placed it under my grow lights. It isn't doing to bad; hasn't put up a pitcher or lost one, but I consider that pretty good. (I think it's still acclimating to my conditions)
It is too late now to put the plant into dormancy, IMO. They need to be prepared for winter with a gradual change in photoperiod and temperature. Changing these conditions so suddenly would probably put it into shock and/or kill it.
I plan on placing my plant outside with my other cobra permanently in the spring.

Good Luck!

Matt

(Let us know how it goes.)

I hope it turns out well! Its my first darling and i dont wanna kill it!

Kamil

If I see a local Lowes selling a Cobra Plant, I'll seriously think about picking one up.

However, I live just outside Tampa, Florida. Are my summers too hot for it? Would I have to grow it in the shade of my porch to protect it from heat?

Looking into this thread reminded me of when I was in 6th grade and saw my first picture of a Cobra Lily and thought "wow, that plant is ridiculously bad as s looking"

Well I guess I'll move it under my grow lights or just leave it by the window.

Ahmad they had one left that looked pretty decent if you don't find one.

They're not the strongest specimens in the world! I would keep it in growth mode for the next 4 months and acclimate it to outside. Get it in a big (deep and wide) vessel.

I picked up four of 'em from Lowes that were reduced in price to $2.49 each.

I re-potted them and placed them in a rather cold west facing window. After a month some new pitchers came up. They're still in a sort of dormancy I believe. Spring and its warmer weather will tell for sure.......

Back