What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed coat problem?

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hi. I have some purpurea seedlings and I have a small problem. Moat of the seed coats are holding the 2 leaves together and I think it might cause a problem when the 3rd and 4th pitchers arrive. (most of them are growing the first pair) I want to try and remove them but, I think I will kill the seedlings in the process. Is there any thing I should do?

Hey Ant,

How old are the seedlings? Sounds like they recently germinated? Is it the cotyledons that you are referring to (the very first seed leaves)? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. They'll grow out of it eventually. I have a few sarr seeds that have just germinated indoors this winter and the seed husk will fall away eventually as the plant grows older. Nothing to worry about.

Rob

It has been at least a month since the radical emerged from the first seeds. And yes, I was referring to.

It won't make a difference in the long run. Nature has ways of working around things like this.

okay, thanks.

Yeah, you don't need to worry. That's about how long it took my seedlings to shed their seeds.

Some of the seedlings will break clear of the seeds, some will get stuck. Either way, the first proper pitchers always emerge fine.

Back