What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing time!

Has anyone else started dividing their sarracenia yet? I have started this weekend, I have to start early or I wont get them all divided and repoted. It looks like I am going to have a huge amount of divisions to get rid of in the spring, I can't wait just a few more months!

I'm going to wait until early spring before I divide any of my Sarrs. Right now they are all tucked away and sleeping.

With my rainy rain winters, it's for the best if I wait. A lot of them will be sitting in water, so breaking rhizomes is probably the last thing I want to do. Despite my best efforts, I always lose a little bit to root rot every winter.

Luckily I don't have that problem with root rot so I am able to get a head start on the process.

Craig - are your sarrs greenhouse grown, and if so, have you always divided at this time of year?

Yes they are greenhouse grown. In years past I have started in late Jan-early Feb but have found that I either don't get all of them divided, transplanted and repotted so I figured that if I started a little bit earlier I would have a better chance of getting them all done w/o having to spend multiple hours at one time.

Not yet. The folliage on my sarras is still browning so I'm leaving mine on them still. Last year I cut a little too quickly and I think it might have robbed some vigor from this year's pitcher crop.

This season I'm waiting until the end of January next year (or the leaves turn brown) before I remove them.

Also, if you're interested in finding homes for some of your divisions, let me know. Could always use a rosea or two. ;)

I have many 2 year old S. rosea seedlings that I will need to get rid of when it gets warmer.

I already did mine last month. It's a good thing, too, because right now they're underneath a foot of snow and ice. (Next year probably won't be the greatest for my S. minor 'Okee.') I have a few pots left that I didn't have time for that I'll do in late Winter. I'm not sure I've ever noticed much difference in dividing early or late; I usually don't plan it, I just decide to do it sometime once it's really cold and unpleasant outside.
I've never lost anything to rot before, except maybe if you count a clump of D. filiirormis tracyi. But I didn't divide those; they just got way too cold I think. Is that more of a hazard in warmer conditions?
I'd be glad to take some seedlings off your hands too, striker. ;D
~Joe

My collection of Sarracenias are currently residing in a co-worker's garage, as they had last year. It will be March or April before I get them back. Last year I was pleasntly surprised as to how well they took the winter, there, as well as the flower scapes they produced, and the natural division that took place.

I want to do the whole division thing, but the soil is frozen solid out there, heh. The S. x 'Judith Hindle' had a LOT of growth points when I repotted it right before winter, but I wasn't sure it would make it if I divided it before putting it out.

We'll have to see what survives -- I am guessing the S. Purpurpeas will live at the very least, but we'll see.

Mine are sleepin till March

I am not going to do so much dividing as I am repotting, which will be done probably sometime in February.

Right now I am in a daily pattern of moving the plants (that still have healthy foliage) outdoors during the day and indoors (into the garage) during the night as nightly temperatures are dipping below freezing. It's quite a hassle, bit it's worth it.

im still debating what to divide/when. Im thinking im gonna start tomorrow or the next day. Maybe the whole over grown collection...which will take forever! i guess i cant complain though, compared to wolf9striker.

Mine are all in the fridge with the VFTs until mid February. Then they come out. I do check on them a few times during the winter though.

I just finished culling all of the seedlings now it is on to dividing and repotting the mature plants!

How long do you leave seedlings together before potting them up individually? I have a really big pot of oreophila x "Leah Wilkerson" that I'm pretty excited about, but the mix has settled and I'm worried they aren't getting as much light as they'd prefer because they're like three or four inches below the rim of the pot.
~Joe

Wolf9striker: Let me know if there is anything I can procure for you in return for a S. rosea or two. I'm definitely serious about a trade - or if you just want to find homes for them I would be eternally grateful!

Joe - I pot them up individually after the first year. I yank out all but the best plants per pot, then I let them grow for 2 more years and toss out all but the best to keep.

Back