What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of getting a Ceph

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
im thinking of getting an "albany" ceph. This will be my first ceph and Im wondering if this is a good one to start with or if there are any suggestions.

I have a 10g tank that I keep the plants that require humidty in, the humidity sits at around 50% during the day/when the lamp is on.

thanks!

I believe that there is only one Cephalotus even though there are different varieties.

Check your other conditions as well: Temps, light, and humidity. If you can meet the condition range, which from what I understand is quite a broad range, then I say get it. :D

Albany is the region where Cephalotus hails from, I believe. You may not need the tank - I grew mine in a terrarium for years and am now having a much easier time growing it as a well-lit houseplant.
~Joe

They do pretty well at a window sill. I keep mine in a mix of sand and peat, with LFS on top. Also recommended is that the soil be mounded to keep the crown from being too wet. I do water from over top, a couple few times a week. This plant, like the D. adelae and P. primuliflora, can also go downhill rather suddenly. I always encourage the taking "winter leaf" cuttings as backups.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

Mine grows about as easily as an african violet on a windowsill in the bathroom, and recently put out a quarter-size pitcher! (The rest are the size of pinheads). THANK YOU! a certain very generous person (you know who you are) Here are all the general tips I've found by searching the forums:
- water around the perimeter of the pot rather than in the center to help prevent rot
- have the plant on a little "mound in the center of the pot (will eventually happen if you do the above).
- cooler nights and mornings help production of larger pitchers (I kept the window open in the fall, now it's too cold...)
- The general consensus is this plant does not go into dormancy.
- Will tolerate low light, but intense light levels will give you those beautiful maroon pitchers
- also tolerant of low humidity -- doesn't seem to love high humidity as much as the neps.
- water when the top of the soil appears lighter
- a peat/perlite/sand mix is a decent general mix, but LFS (live, usually) is best for rooting cuttings
Hope this helps :D

That helps a bunch guys :) I think here soon, Im going to get one. Im going to gather the soil stuff that is needed...I think all I need is some sand and get that all ready before I get one.

I'm growing mine in a west-facing window like a regular houseplant.

I water it lightly once a week just as if it were a Pothos, a Philodendron or a Dracaena.

The window sill can get down to 60°F in the winter, and so far my Ceph is not complaining. ;)

Back