What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Sarracenia psittacina from seed

Hi all,

I am thinking of growing Sarracenia psittacina (PARROT PITCHER PLANT) from seed for next year.

psittacina1.jpg

I have a few questions

1. Stratification, what is the best method? Would planting in winter work?
2. When to plant? Would planting just before spring (after Stratification) be ok?

Any other Tips would be most helpful

Whereabouts are you?

1. If you have non-extreme winters you can sow now on wet peat and they'll germinate when it warms up in spring.

2. Or you can sow on a wet paper towel, wrap in tin foil and place in the fridge for 5 weeks. At the end of 5 weeks, sow them and keep them somewhere warm and bright for germinations.

Why tin foil? Would a ziplock bag work instead?

There's more than one way of approaching it. Some also use a fungicide. I never had and it hasn't been a problem. I just use plastic gumball containers and fill them with water and seeds. They are sealed and placed in a baggie, in the butter keeper, for about a month and a half. Seems to work.

Alexis (Australia)

Our winters get to about 10c (50F) so I think I might try some seeds In the fridge and some outside.

"sow on a wet paper towel, wrap in tin foil and place in the fridge for 5 weeks"

I might use a zip lock bag instead of tin foil,

Is 5 weeks the correct about of time for Sarracenia psittacina?

With paper towel does it have to be some special type? e.g. Chemical free?

Questions

1. Do I soak the seeds in water before stratification, if so for how long?

2. Would mould start growing while they are in the fridge?

3. Do I start the fridge stratification 5 weeks before spring?

Thanks

Back