What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S x Mitchelliana

Hi Cp lovers.....

Okays so i have my mitchelliana for some time now about 3/4 of a year and i got it from a local nursery and so far it has shown no signs of dormancy and probally when it was at the nursery it didn't to considering it looks very healthy....When i bought it pitchers were around 10cm at most while now they are much bigger and fatter going 21cm :jester: And after so long i have yet to see a flower......Why is this??

And if anyone has any care tips for them please post it here.....And pics of yours will definitly be appreciated

Ken

Depends on how old it is. A Sarracenia usually flowers at the age of 4-6 years.

Hi Capensis

Well i have no idea how old is it but i'm pretty sure that it is atr least around the age you mentioned considering the amount of separations from rhizome and pitchers it has made...........I'm not even sure if it is a S Mitchelliana...Because when i look at the Savage Garden Book it shows S purpurea x leucophylla it looks different.....Well pitchers are a little tubby like mine but the difference is the lid....In the book the pitcher is having a lid which closes the mouth but mine is fully open so purpurea is definitly in.....It has quite a lot of veins everywhere and has the most reddish colouration at the peristrome and around that area...Most parts are pinkish green well mostly green no matter how much sun i give....

Ken

Hi!

I think this species needs just about the same care as any other sarracenia. In the summer lots of sun water and temps 20C-35C. In the winter i let it go through dormancy at constant temperature of 8C and the sbstrate only moist. It is doing great... mine hasnt flowered for me since it is a very young plant. Here s a pic of what it looked like in september/october. (Now of course most of the leaves are dead)
SxMitchelliana.jpg

Hi Klasac

Okays so i guess i can assure mine is a S x Mitchelliana since it looks exactly like yours except it has more pitchers and larger ones.....Argh reminding me of dormancy mine has never go through dormancy and most probally didn't in the local nursery i bought from to...Soooo each day passing by i'm just waiting for it to die....Sad eh i don't have time for it to go dormancy my tropcial climate is unforgiving for sarr dormancy and + fridge is no allowed...Soooooo i'll see how it goes for this guy still very strong guy

Ken

Hi Ken!

Well dormancy i think for this sarr is kinda big deal and maybe that is why it doesnt look too healthy and why it hasent flowered for you yet despite its maturity. Maybe you have a pic of your specimen?

Flowering is also triggered by the change in the seasons, so my guess would be since you live in a tropical area the light and temps haven't not changed enough to trigger flower development (if it is mature enough to flower).

xvart.

It will flower after dormancy.

It you can't give it a dormancy, it will die, let alone flower.

Hi

Well there are a lot of people having they're sarrs flower........And i wouldn't say its not healthy but well to me looks fine :p I already lost my VFT and S x moorei to dormancy can't blame them......Just hoping this one survives longer cos i had it almost twice as long as the others

Ken

Hi

And also i left out something.............Does your Sarr produce its own digestive juice for this hybrid??? Mine doesn't seem to every new pitcher is empty and i will fill it about half everytime it dries out and everytime i fill it insects get caught....

Ken

All Sarracenias should make digestive juices by their own, but not a whole lot. It starts to make more when prey start to fall in, I think.

I think this is a conditions thing. Sarracenia don't always flower each year; they have to be in good health and they need the change in seasons to tell them when to go. Mid-Winter is still way too early to see flowers in most places. Also, are you keeping it in enough water? A healthy plant shouldn't need water added to its pitchers - that's really an, "Oh God my plant is dying!" last-ditch kind of move. I believe you might be killing it with love.
~Joe

Hi Capensis

Well S.Purpurea collects rain water to drown its prey......Well probally there is not enough insects inside yet...

Ken

S. purpurea is the only one that relies on rain or someother source to fill it up.

It would help if you posted pictures of the plant and also your geographical location. It's possible that it's too early for it to come out of dormancy. Just be patient with the plant. As for filling the pitchers with fluid - as Capensis states: generally this is not necessary unless you're dealing with purpurea. All the other remain relatively dry (if you peek inside them, the bugs in there should have the consistency of moist compost - not swimming in fluid - water or otherwise - you may just be diluting the digestive enzymes in there.

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice................Again like i said i never put this guys into dormancy because well i am not allowed to......So i guess i only can grow them for max 2-3 years before they start dying.There is a mulch of ants inside not much but well sufficient....I guess sarrs don't have as much fluid as neps do.

BTW i just seperated one of its rhizome....It has 4 rhizomes lol...The one i seperated is the smallest having 3 pitchers and around 13-15cm but they are sooo skinny

Ken

Why can't you give it dormancy?

Put it somewhere shaded for a couple of weeks, cut off the growth, uproot it and wrap in wet paper towel and then put it in the fridge for 3 months.

Sarracenia purpurea uses rainwater to drown its prey. It then uses bacteria to break it down for it.

All the other sarras open dry. When they catch food they will secrete small amounts of digestive juices, but you still won't be able to see if looking from above.

Hi Alexis

Yeah i know roughly how to give a plant dormancy but the thing is my mom doesn'
t let me put sarrrs in fridges

Ken

Back