What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my cephs.. now. (i tried propagating using live lfs)

My suggestion is :DO NOT MEDDLE. Leave them alone. Sometimes they can take upto 3 months or so to start signs of upper growth..but as long as the leaf doesn't die to a crisp...its possible that they will form a new plant. I got a 80% strike rate.

i found out one struck today!!!!!!

100_6768.jpg

its in the middle of the pic.. right in the middle.. the tiny little shoot...:banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:

Congrats, you'll have plenty of cephs soon.

Congrats on the strike! Could you share some more info on your success?

My Ceph was putting out two winter leaves, but then they died and it instead started 3 new pitchers(I'm not complaining about the new pitchers, just wanted to try to propagate some new ones):D. Is there a reason for this?

How many plants did you take those leaves from?
How did you get so many winter leaves?

sure, of course =) i'll be happy to share info with you.

hmm.. basically i took LEAF PULLINGS. i didnt take leaf cuttings as ive read somewhere that leaf pullings have some of the rhizome tissue there cell division/mitosis is most likely to occur. if you take leaf pullings, you'll probably notice some white stuff at the base of the leaf, and that's the rhizome tissue.

also, i did not use rooting hormones.. i jsut tuck the leaves in live LFS, and let nature do itsi course.

if im not mistaken i tucked those leaves in to live sphagnum on the 3rd of january 2009.. and now, only one leaf has produced shoots. im guessing others are develpoing their root systems.

by the way, i live in a tropiocal country and its rainy and sunny all year round here. no winter.. but surprisingly i get non carnivorous leaves all year round. i guess in tropical climate, offshoots are plenty but pitcher size is small.

i took those leaves from four pots of cephalotus.. one pot has about a few plants in it.

Congrats!

update - plantlet has grown to about an 3/4 inch in leaf length, tip to tip. 2nd batch of leaves appearing.

no signs of other leaves striking at this stage.. it seems very slow

will post pics later.

not really much of a difference compared to last time eh? actually this is the only leaf so far.. that struck..

the others didnt strike :'(

anyway, i was wondering when u guys tried to propagate ur ceph, did u stick the whitish base in or just leave it at the surface of the live sphagnum? what i did was i 'poked' the whitish base around half an inch into the sphagnum.. im worried it might not work

Back