What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack'

Nvm.. sorryy someone on this forum who has one :O

good luck. fools dream right now. Brokken may not have appriciated that Halt... ;)

I already knew that Brokken had one, he mentioned it in the chatbox. :) I'm interested, long term, in finding one, but it's not something I'm actively looking for -- I'm still trying to figure out if I can keep Sarracenia alive in my area. :)

oh, nevermind then. What area do you live in? Sarras can live almost anywhere really.

Twin Falls, Idaho, 2 hours SE of Boise. It's zone 5 or 6, depending on who you ask. We've had a few nights in the single digits, and a few weeks straight below freezing (for a high).

The Sarras I have outside appear to be ok. They are browning up at top but most of their bulk remains just as colorful as in October. Still, waiting on them. Have 2 White Trumpets, 2 Purple Pitcher Plants, and 1 Judith Hindle out there. We'll see if they survive... :) The 2 VFTs didn't.

Have you protected any of them? some straw or even a blanket on top of them coul;d help them survive much more comfortably.

'Adrian Slack' is out there in a few collections, but very rare.

Have you protected any of them? some straw or even a blanket on top of them coul;d help them survive much more comfortably.

See, that's my worry, just throwing a blanket on top of them -- wouldn't that block the light and, you know, kill them? And would that really keep them that much warmer? I could get one of those styrofoam coolers (or even a real, plastic one), and put them inside (surrounded by straw and/or dried LFS) if that would supposedly keep them safe. Hate to do it -- using "unnatural" stuff like that feels like cheating -- but keeping my plants alive is honestly more important to me...

Does dry LFS make a good mulch?

I got mine from Brooks Garcia by way of eBay.

In answer to your question regarding blanketting your sarracenia: Not only does mulch prevent the outside air from freeze-drying your sarracenia, but as it decomposes it generates some amount of heat. I would imagine that dried sphagnum could be used as mulch, but it would be a waste of perfectly good sphagnum.

they barely photosynthesise when dormant. In winter, they are focused on surviving, not eating (via photosynthesis). Im sure any help they get is appriciated.

Hey, if your not cheating you not trying! :D

i know someone who has one pm me and i'll tell ya LOL

So is this plant just a natural hybrid in his backyard or is it out there just hard to get?

So is this plant just a natural hybrid in his backyard or is it out there just hard to get?

It's a cultivar, it's a hybird that grew up with very specific features that they named after Mr. Slack. As a cultivar it has to be cloned, not grown from seed, and it's new enough and they're slow growing enough that not many people have it.

So is this plant just a natural hybrid in his backyard...?

Well, I don't know if it was just naturally made by his other Sarracenias without him crossing it, but it does exist in his backyard. I guess he just uproots divisions when there are.

its a fantastic natural hybrid (i believe) that has a flava pitcher body, and leucophylla color. Beautiful.

Don't forget the lips! :)

Well pretty much anything with leucophylla looks real nice to be. Think my favorite is leucophylla X purpurea.

So far, this is the best pitcher that I've gotten. It was a small division, so it's still not putting out large, healthy pitchers:

adrianslack03.jpg

very purdy brokken!

Back