What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Am I? (Large Pics)

Peanut

I like this
I haven't gotten any new carnivorous plant in a while. I went the nursery again for the first time in like 3 years and found a type of sarr and went "What the heck" and bought it for $7.99. All I have right now is 3 divided N. ventrata which used to be 6 foot long and a dormant VFT. So I'm just wondering what species of sarr this is.

3242525422_6640b0091f_o.jpg

3241692381_fd30e73918_o.jpg

3241692117_83af71e8b1.jpg

Looks to be fairly young and well cared for too. Was it a garden center or a dedicated carnivorous plant nursery?

S. purpurea venosa

Second the S. purpurea ssp. venosa.

Looks to be fairly young and well cared for too. Was it a garden center or a dedicated carnivorous plant nursery?

This was from a regular old garden center. The carnivorous plants they have there usually die in 2 weeks. Looks like I got there just in time.

I find the purpurea the absolute easiest CP to grow. Even easier than a VFT or a cape.

Every one that I've picked up at local Lowe's and HD's have grown to terrific size and color.

I then give them away to the "houseplant ladies" at work in an effort to infect them with the "CP bug". ;) All the ladies remark on how pretty the purp is and they all love the deep purple color. I have to remind them that those are not flowers, but rather, pitchers; modified leaves.

After a week of good direct sunlight, it has gotten a little color. Scroll up to see how green it was.

71001DSCN5532.jpg

Some of them are starting to turn brown and the leaves seem to look like its been burnt. Is the sun too hot or is this just a side affect of having to come out of a really humid room with no sunlight?(That's how the nursery kept them)

75054DSCN5533.jpg

There's almost never too much sunlight for Sarrs. But it turning purple is a good sign, and I guess some of the traps are turning brown due to it being away from sunlight.
Edit: Nice signature. xD

There's almost never too much sunlight for Sarrs. But it turning purple is a good sign, and I guess some of the traps are turning brown due to it being away from sunlight.
Edit: Nice signature. xD

Haha, thanks.
hey didn't I send you a couple of D. capensis seeds a long time ago? How are they now?

No, that wasn't me. :x

Peanut,

Don't expect a whole lot of color to show up right now. In general, existing leaves may darken a bit, but the true coloration comes out when the leaves are young and developing. As this plant progresses into spring and summer, you will see that all the new growth will exibit the beautiful coloration one would expect of this species.

Good luck with your new baby.

Cheers
Steve

Peanut,

Don't expect a whole lot of color to show up right now. In general, existing leaves may darken a bit, but the true coloration comes out when the leaves are young and developing. As this plant progresses into spring and summer, you will see that all the new growth will exibit the beautiful coloration one would expect of this species.

Good luck with your new baby.

Cheers
Steve

You're Right! Here is a pic of a new leaf that's growing and its brownish/red!
PS. Are the pitchers suppose to dry up? The liquids keep turning into a crusty sugary looking thing.

28640DSCN5608.jpg

Back