What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, almost wake up time!!!

• Thread starter tommyr
  • Start date

tommyr

Gardening freak!
It's getting closer to Valentines day! Which means SOON we can start waking up the CPs!

:-D

Can't wait to get mine out of the fridge!

I still have about 1.5-2 months to go before mine start waking up :(

Haha! For once, I've got you all beat - both my Darlingtonia and my D. rotundifolia are already starting to break dormancy.
~Joe

I couldn't stand it, I took one VFT and one Sarr. out of the fridge!

I do have a big tray full of D. adelae I need to re-pot also.

It's hitting 50F during the days here, but remaining below freezing at night. It's making an interesting ring effect on the media in the pots outside, as they nearly -- but not quite -- thaw out, then re-freeze. When I get home on my new schedule it's still above freezing, so to try and prevent them being freeze dried, I'm trying to water them at that time. I might consider warming up the water before doing so next time, but I'm not sure on that...

The S. Purpurea are kinda browning up in spots but are seeming ok -- the bigger of the two has an exposed root or two from pouring water on it, which I am trying to fix by pushing some media around on top of it, but it's probably too late to worry about.

I have a pot of 2 S. leucophylla and a S. x 'Judith Hindle', they seem to be doing OK although I do wish I had buried them further down in the media. All 3 still have some color but are browning up a bit. They are in a weird mix of about 2 inches of pure LFS, then Peat + Perlite, then another 2 inches of pure LFS on top. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Some of my new stuff has already woken up to a point -- the D. dichotoma "Giant" is growing like a weed already, and has caught some fruit flies that I didn't even know I had. The D. Tracyi hasn't done anything but turn black on some of it's tips, but only a few of them. I'm hoping to see some activity soon, I plan on making it an outside plant as soon as possible. The D. Binata is still black and dead looking.

I have a S. leucophylla and a VFT Typical in the bedroom windowsill, they haven't grown but they also haven't died, just kinda sitting there, I am hoping it's the lower photo period that's keeping them dormant. :) Hopefully around March 30th I'll be able to bring them outside, right now it'd shock them to death if I tried -- 60-70 degree apartment going to a 20-50 degree outside... yeah, not good.

Have some Darlingtonia seed that I'm stratifying in the fridge, it's kind of a race right now to see if I can both stratify it AND sprout it in time for the weather outside to support it. We'll see, my current plan is to take it out of the fridge around 3/20 and plop it into my LFS growing project (where I have my D. Filiformis "Florida All Red" seeds).

Haha! For once, I've got you all beat - both my Darlingtonia and my D. rotundifolia are already starting to break dormancy.

Dear everyone, I respectfully submit "nya nya" :nana:

It's OK though. I'll probably get a hard frost that'll kill them all. Or, to make up for all of the sunshine we've been having (and associated lack of precipitation) they'll all go up in flames when California bursts in to flames (again) this year.

So far I've got in the vicinity of 20 flowers in various states of development. The growth you see if old growth that wasn't trimmed back. Somehow I didn't expect my plants to wake up in freakin' JANUARY.

My plants should be breaking dormancy this month. Already got a leuco that tried making pitchers and a flower. I hope the flower will actually flower. o.o I also expect a flower from my S. purp venosa.

Californians don't count, because California is just imaginary. So there! XP
~Joe

It's OK though. I'll probably get a hard frost that'll kill them all. Or, to make up for all of the sunshine we've been having (and associated lack of precipitation) they'll all go up in flames when California bursts in to flames (again) this year.

So far I've got in the vicinity of 20 flowers in various states of development. The growth you see if old growth that wasn't trimmed back. Somehow I didn't expect my plants to wake up in freakin' JANUARY.

Same here in SanJo. This is perhaps the earliest I've seen my sarras wake up in the year's I've been growing them.

My threadleaf dews are breaking thru their old husks already.........

And they've been hibernating in drafty cold windows all winter too.

Stubborn little fellas...........

Im considering trying an experiment this year..

rather than bring the plants of of dormancy around February 15th, as is my custom:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html

I might just leave alone for another 6 weeks or so..so they can go straight outside outside in April rather than spend February-March indoors..I dont know, I havent decided yet..

the only problem with that idea is that if its get too warm in March, they might break dormancy in the dark..which wouldnt be good..

I will proabably just brng them out in February! ;)
but the "leaving them alone until April" theory has some merits..
hmmmm..

Scot

I'm surprised you take them out in Feb. Don't they just produce weedy, light starved pitchers until the sun is stronger?

Im considering trying an experiment this year..

rather than bring the plants of of dormancy around February 15th, as is my custom:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html

I might just leave alone for another 6 weeks or so..so they can go straight outside outside in April rather than spend February-March indoors..I dont know, I havent decided yet..

the only problem with that idea is that if its get too warm in March, they might break dormancy in the dark..which wouldnt be good..

I will proabably just brng them out in February! ;)
but the "leaving them alone until April" theory has some merits..
hmmmm..

Scot

I was debating this very same issue. Mine are already showing signs of life in my dark garage, so I think I'm going to have to take them out soon! I was planning on waiting til early April.

I did a fridge dormancy last Oct. so mine have been out for a couple weeks now and are starting to show new growth.

I'm surprised you take them out in Feb. Don't they just produce weedy, light starved pitchers until the sun is stronger?

yeah..they do...(but it has nothing to with the outdoor sun..it has to do with the indoor sun..the sun is plenty bright in February..plants wouldnt be "light starved" if they were outdoors in February..but they CANT be outdoors in February because its far too cold..)

but taking them out mid-february (indoors) is done for two reasons..

1. time is up anyway..thats 3.5 months of dormancy, as much as they get in the wild..
but up here in Western NY spring is a month and half later than "south east US spring"..
so from the plant's perspective, mid-February is the natural time to come out of dormancy..

2. Its still nice and cold in the stairwell in mid-February..they are still naturally dormant then..so I can create an "artificial spring" simply by bringing them into the house and letting them live in a window for 6 weeks..

The (potential) problem with leaving them in the stairwell for an extra 6 weeks is that it starts to warm up through March into April...its not warm enough for them be outside 24/7..but it might be warm enough for them to break dormancy..and if they break dormancy in the dark stairwell, they will try to begin growing with no light..which would be bad..so thats the concern..

Scot

Back