What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cephalotus has rotted away!!!!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Yesterday, I was checking on my cephalotus when I noticed one of the non carnivorous leaves has rotted off. A few minutes ago, I checked and the entire plant has rotted away!

Now I have to spend $40 on a new one! *cries*

Yesterday, I was checking on my cephalotus when I noticed one of the non carnivorous leaves has rotted off. A few minutes ago, I checked and the entire plant has rotted away!

Now I have to spend $40 on a new one! *cries*

I wouldn't throw out the pot just yet. The rhizome may still be intact. Over the years, I too have experienced sometimes dramatic Cephalotus die-backs but the rhizome persisted. Give it some time and keep it on the drier side. I wouldn't be surprised if you see new growth in a few weeks . . .

that stinks, but bigbella and xvart are right. I think my ceph's growth point died, but at least its pitchers aren't dieing. I hope it will make a new point soon...

I would figure out what you think caused the rot and fix that on the "dead" plant, then maintain the "dead" plant like it was living for a few months before buying another one. You might just get lucky.

yes, dont throw it away first. just keep it for a few more weeks and see if theres new growth. theres no harm right?

i think there a thread here titled 'why you should not give up on a cephalotus'

check it out. its awesome

You let your ceph sit in a month's worth of water?

I've heard of people growing them on the tray method and I myself use something that amounts to a tray with a layer of dead sphagnum on top which acts as a wick for the for the water and then sit the pots on top. However depending on your containers, this may have proven fatal to your ceph depending on what your setup looked like. (narrow containers with high levels of water). Got any pictures prior to the alleged death?

You let your ceph sit in a month's worth of water?

I've heard of people growing them on the tray method and I myself use something that amounts to a tray with a layer of dead sphagnum on top which acts as a wick for the for the water and then sit the pots on top. However depending on your containers, this may have proven fatal to your ceph depending on what your setup looked like. (narrow containers with high levels of water). Got any pictures prior to the alleged death?

Here's a picture I took in December. This is the Cephalotus in a 4 inch pot with a peat/perlite/sand mix.

cephalotus2.jpg

I found a site that sells small Cephalotus for $35 and medium Cephalotus for $45. They are shipped bare-root in Sphagnum moss. Would this be a good buy?

Wow. Doesn't strike me as a bad setup. Even if the plant was sitting in water, there seems to be enough surface area to get a decent amount of gas exchange. Generally cephs like a sandier medium, but I don't think yours is too bad either. Assuming that the water quality is good,and all other environmental factors I'm at a loss as to why your ceph didn't make it. Like the others, I recommend waiting a few months to see if it shows signs of recovery.

Wow. Doesn't strike me as a bad setup. Even if the plant was sitting in water, there seems to be enough surface area to get a decent amount of gas exchange. Generally cephs like a sandier medium, but I don't think yours is too bad either. Assuming that the water quality is good,and all other environmental factors I'm at a loss as to why your ceph didn't make it. Like the others, I recommend waiting a few months to see if it shows signs of recovery.

I watered it with distilled water. However, I'm just thinking it didn't get enough light and I over-watered it. The perfect combination for rot.

When I get my new one, I plan to get a sandier soil, less watering (keeping the soil damp to slightly wet), and give it lots more light. My former Cephalotus was growing in my south facing windowsill, where it only received about two hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the time was shade.

In addition, I think I'll name the new Cephalotus "Audrey 2". The first Cephalotus was named "Audrey Junior"

$35 is a bit high I'd think, but then again, that's how much I was going to have to spend on one. If it's the site I think you're looking at (they have Czech Giant and Hummer's Giant as well but they're out of stock) I keep meaning to get a Ceph from them and a VFT "Gold Strike", just so I can figure out what it looks like, but, yeah. Stories like this scare me. :)

Hmmm...from looking at the picture I have a few questions. How long have you had this plant? Was it divided, seed grown, or leaf pulling? This looks like a "fresh" division to me.

On a side note.....water does not cause rot.....lack of air exchange in the water and/or soil does. Read up on hydroponics forums for more info.

A bare root, probably fresh small division for $35? That seems really high to me, and considering its still winter the prices should be lower, they are on E-bay right now. Atleast until spring. I'd be more concerned about a bare root Ceph than the price thou. Try to get a small established one shipped potted its worth the extra $10-20. Atleast thats my option.

Hmmm...from looking at the picture I have a few questions. How long have you had this plant? Was it divided, seed grown, or leaf pulling? This looks like a "fresh" division to me.

On a side note.....water does not cause rot.....lack of air exchange in the water and/or soil does. Read up on hydroponics forums for more info.

A bare root, probably fresh small division for $35? That seems really high to me, and considering its still winter the prices should be lower, they are on E-bay right now. Atleast until spring. I'd be more concerned about a bare root Ceph than the price thou. Try to get a small established one shipped potted its worth the extra $10-20. Atleast thats my option.

Agreed. I think from a previous post Ahmad, I remember seeing yor ceph in a "humidity dome." Poor air circulation can easily cause an end to a plant. They will survive for awhile, but will eventually be overtaken by fungus/bacteria. I too use the tray method, but the tray is constantly cleaned and there is never standing water for more than a week. Also, I would try to search elsewhere for a potted ceph. All three of mine came potted and experienced little to no shock, and almost immediately began putting out new pitcher. For $35 bare root and that tiny, I would have personally expected a lot more than that! Then again, to each their own.

$35 is a bit high I'd think, but then again, that's how much I was going to have to spend on one. If it's the site I think you're looking at (they have Czech Giant and Hummer's Giant as well but they're out of stock) I keep meaning to get a Ceph from them and a VFT "Gold Strike", just so I can figure out what it looks like, but, yeah. Stories like this scare me. :)

Yeah, that's the nursery I'm thinking of. However, I'm a little wary of them because I've never heard of them before, let alone bought anything from them.

The place where I previous bought my Cephalotus is selling them in 3 inch pots for $38. I think I'll get one from there, in addition I'll get a 5 inch pot and a gallon bag of fast-draining soil (one part peat, two parts perlite)

Agreed. I think from a previous post Ahmad, I remember seeing yor ceph in a "humidity dome." Poor air circulation can easily cause an end to a plant. They will survive for awhile, but will eventually be overtaken by fungus/bacteria. I too use the tray method, but the tray is constantly cleaned and there is never standing water for more than a week. Also, I would try to search elsewhere for a potted ceph. All three of mine came potted and experienced little to no shock, and almost immediately began putting out new pitcher. For $35 bare root and that tiny, I would have personally expected a lot more than that! Then again, to each their own.

I stopped using the humidity dome a few months ago. I just used it at first to keep humidity high so it wouldn't go into shock.

I think I've ordered from that nursery, mostly Utric's so my experience are typical to Utric's orders....What thats the size they sent me?? These are weeds....give me some more plant for my dollar!!! Normal Utric bussines. They seemed a "typical" CP nursury, nothing special but not bad either, good selection thou.

They're pretty good except for small things. For example, the pygmy I got was essentially a dime sized... dot... with a tiny bit of LFS under it. It tried but ultimately didn't live.

Still, I'd love to figure out what VFT "Gold Stirke" is. :)

Back