What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got some purps today... Check your lowes

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lowes

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
At lowes, they had dormant plants(only purps for me) for 1 dollar for 2.5 inch cubes and 2 for 4 inch.

Cool. You should get pictures if they wake up. You're in the northeast, so it may not be the same for the southeast.

Nice deal on them the purps at the lowes near me are $4 +tax for the 2.5 inch and $9 +tax for the 4 inch plants. I can't wait to see pictures of them when they're awake.

does anyone know if lowes sells CP in oregon? I never see em only crappy cacti with horribly offensive plastic flowers glued on.... yuck. anyways the one I am asking about in particular is in Medford (MethFord) Oregon (Orygun) lol anyways I should just call em but thought I would ask.

they all should carry it. next time you go, ask them, they prob. have them in the shadiest part of the GH, or outside nursery

they all should carry it. next time you go, ask them, they prob. have them in the shadiest part of the GH, or outside nursery

Every Wal-Mart, Lowes, and HomeDepot that I have been to and that had CPs always keep them indoors in the "house plant" section next to the pest control area.

Now that I think about it, I haven't gone in search of CPs in these stores in a while. Maybe I should check in to see if they have anything good.

does anyone know if lowes sells CP in oregon? I never see em only crappy cacti with horribly offensive plastic flowers glued on.... yuck. anyways the one I am asking about in particular is in Medford (MethFord) Oregon (Orygun) lol anyways I should just call em but thought I would ask.

I figured to remove all doubt someone from Oregon should answer this question.
Yes they sell them, but they are often extremeley etiolated to the point where the growth is all grotesquely deformed.

i wish canadian stores here had plants more than typical-dente vft's or nep ventricosa's... lucky you, good find!

aren't you lucky! if only canadian home depots or walmarts would carry purps... i'd but 'em all! as blokeman said, all we can find are n. ventricosas and vfts, if we're lucky they have a dana's delight or two :(

matei

@ the Lowes in the Bay Area here, I've seen all these:
Darlingtonia:
californica

Dionaea:
'Dente Traps'
muscipula

Drosera:
alicae

Nepenthes:
ventricosa
alata
x 'Judith Finn'

Pinguicula:
primulifolia
moranensis

Sarracenia:
alata
x 'Judith Hindle'
leucophylla

All are from Gublers, one from NME (x 'Judith Hindle' )

Actually a surprising number of Lowes in Oregon DON'T carry cps anymore. It looks like they got tired of plants just sitting there and not getting bought.

They also stopped carrying APS media about a year an a half ago. I had to grab a bag of it while I was visiting a Lowes in Hawaii!

Occassionally I find some sickly cobras, etc. I've gotten a few to survive. Those are the ones to go for. :-O

Always ask for a discount if your plants look bad. One of the checkout guys said. "Is it even alive?" They're fairly generous.

I haven't tried this yet, but I heard somewhere that if the plants in those stores look particularly bad (even though they may just be in hibernation) you can talk to a manager type and get them to deal on the price. Might be worth a shot...

I've been checking my local Lowes for Butterworts the past 2 weeks, so far none but they did have lots of typical VFTs, purple pitchers, Judith Hindles and Adelae sundews.

I've only been to Lowes once, and that was last summer. I found one VFT that looked really bad (I bought it, lol). It was inside, under a shelf in the house plant section. It fell apart when I repotted it. I'll look for a Lowes next time we're out driving around. Hopefully they'll have some cheap darlingtonias.

My local Lowes had carnivorous plants for the first time in almost a year. All they had were Venus Fly Traps, but it's still nice to see that they still have CPs

The one near my house sometimes carry sarrs, sundews, pings, vft's, and small Nepenthes...most are in pretty poor condition, but usually rebound with proper care...they haven't had any in a while though, but it's probably best to check back month by month...my local Fred Meyer also get's VFT's, and a pretty nice sarr hybrid (don't know which one)...and the VFT's are usually in excellent condition...they only have them from late august-october/november though...I'd ask the people in the gardening section though

I live in Wisconsin, and only live near a Wal-Mart which only stocks VFT's occasionally in the Spring.

Here is what I have encountered here in mid-Michigan at local retailers: Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot (mostly Lowe's)

Darlingtonia:
typical

Dionaea:
typical
'Dentè'

Drosera:
adelae

Nepenthes:
sanguinea (orange)
ventricosa
x 'Judith Finn'

Pinguicula: