What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first successful dormancy!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
So I removed my "Judith Hindel" from dormancy and now I can see to new leaves/pitchers forming! This is my first temperate species to ever last more then 6 months. :blush: So during what seasons does "Judith Hindel" make pitchers for catching sun light and not bugs? Also what are those called?

Any way here is a few pics. (btw i love my brothers camera, such great close ups! 3/4ths of them were usable!)
014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

I don't know the patterns of S. x 'Judith Hindle', but I obsevred that some of my Sarracenias made phyllodia towards the end of the growing season.

'Judith Hindle' doesn't produce many, if any, phyllodia.

Phyllodia being... non carnivorous spring leaves?

Phyllodia being... non carnivorous spring leaves?

More like non carnivorous fall and winter leaves.

'Judith Hindle' doesn't produce many, if any, phyllodia.
I have to disagree... Two years ago my 'Judith Hindle' made a ton of phyllodia towards the end of the growing season. (This year, however, it barely made any. I'm betting the weather has something to do with it.)

Congrats Ant! That must have been a relief.

On rare occasions, my two clones have made leaves that were slightly curled and had very thin pitchers with huge alas.

Good luck with yours this season! :)

thanks for the help, I can't wait until it opens.:banana2:

thanks for the help, I can't wait until it opens.:banana2:

S x 'Judith Hindle" is a complex cross. It is speculated that that it's S x moorei (leuco x flava var. rugelli) x purpurea, but your speculation is as good as any. Purpurea is not in the habit of putting out phyllodia, but flava and leucophylla to a lesser extent do. I too have seen Judith put out phyllodia in the winter based on my own personal experience.

Interesting. 4 years and not a single phyllodia for me.

I went home yesterday after reading this and closely inpected both of my clones. I found a small phyllodia on one of them.

P3100015.jpg

Do you see it?
P3100014.jpg

There....
P3100004.jpg

Congratulations. I bet that it didn't hurt a bit . . .

Back