What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here are some shots of a few of my Heliamphora, taken as I was fertilizing the lot with 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer, and trimming away some dead winter leaves. Even though the H. ionasii plants below germinated at the same time, about half the pot still remains in a juvenile state. There is certainly something to be said about the variability of seed. The H. sarracenioides below is finally beginning to produce some adult leaves after a sizable wait . . .

Heliamphora ionasii (Ilu Tepui, from seed)
HI2.jpg

HI3.jpg

Heliamphora folliculata (Aparaman Tepui, from an adult division)
HF2.jpg

HF-1.jpg

Heliamphora nutans "Giant" (still a bit worse for wear after a recent division)
H-nutans-Giant2.jpg

Heliamphora nutans (Mount Roraima)
Hnutans-1.jpg

H-nutans-pitcher.jpg

Heliamphora sarracenioides (TC)
HS.jpg

That H. folliculata is a killer.

All your plants are so red, do you grow them in the Cal sun? The plants I'm using florescents with can't compare with that color!

That H. folliculata is a killer.

All your plants are so red, do you grow them in the Cal sun? The plants I'm using florescents with can't compare with that color!

Thanks. The juvenile plants are generally grown under a compact fluorescent; and, as adults, outdoors in "Sunny California" -- or, more accurately, "Fog City."

Heliamphora in cultivation are typically starved for light . . .

I love San Fran.

You pondering my offer? Or did you forget?

Thanks,

VERY nice plants!

Incredible. Love the H. ionasii.

Incredible. Love the H. ionasii.

Thanks . . .

Those Heliamphora ionasii plants began in fits and starts, and I initially doubted whether the seeds would germinate at all -- since they sat in my post office box for several weeks. Then, strange intermediate leaves (like the phyllodia seen in Sarracenia -- say that five times fast) were produced; and then the first adult leaves, followed by a batch of juveniles . . .

nice coloration=]

nice coloration=]

You just can't give Heliamphora too much light; the trick then is to illuminate them enough without producing the most expensive hot spinach salad you've ever had . . .

San Fransisco fog? That stuff works wonders for Darlingtonia and highland Nepenthes. Not exactly so in Sunnyvale.

Back