What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally got a Cephalotus! *dont know if it's a giant or not*

I was lucky to find a grower to sell me one of his for cheap ($25)

well anyway, I received it yesterday and I took it out of the pot and planted it in my Vivarium
Can you guys tell me if it's just a regular one or a giant form? The seller didnt tell me what it was.

DSC09676.jpg

DSC09677.jpg

DSC09679.jpg

DSC09680.jpg

Here it is planted in my 40gal Vertical Vivarium:-D

A little too early to tell. But I must say those are some large pitchers. I hope it grows well for you. Now, it might go into a little shock and lose some of it's leaves, but that's normal.

It is most likely the "typical" form of Cephalotus, since the so-called "giant" cultivars are more difficult and costly to obtain; however, I have had those smaller forms reach the 7 cm (2.75") sizes associated with "Hummer's Giant" and "German Giant" in the past.

Good luck with the creepy little plant . . .

I like the natural setting of your vivarium. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to water it this way. In their natural setting, cephalotus can be often found living alongside D. hamiltonii - if you wanted to give it some CP company.

As for your question: I'm not sure which one it is - as Big Bella writes: I've seen typical forms reach some humongous sizes. I don't know if there are any telling signs that would distinguish one from the other besides size.

I like the natural setting of your vivarium. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to water it this way. In their natural setting, cephalotus can be often found living alongside D. hamiltonii - if you wanted to give it some CP company.

As for your question: I'm not sure which one it is - as Big Bella writes: I've seen typical forms reach some humongous sizes. I don't know if there are any telling signs that would distinguish one from the other besides size.

Thanks! here's some full pictures of the Viv

DSC09627.jpg

DSC09636.jpg

Where it's at right now doesnt get misted as much as the rest of the tank so it'll be a bit drier but not over watered.

im hoping you didnt plant it directly into the vivarium....
looks a little too wet for a ceph tbh

I placed it in a spot were it doesnt get watered much. I did my share of reading before I got this plant ;)

thanks! Im still waiting for one more plant to come. A N. Ampullaria "harlequin"

Yeah that is a fantastic Vivarium you have there, I love them.
Do you have any critters in there? Looks a perfect herptile habitat.

Beautiful vivarium! It looks awesome. And so many different plants in it. I like how the ceph is planted, but I'm not sure if it would be ok for it.

Very nice! What kind of lighting are you using for that bad boy?
~Joe

Wow, would love to have something like that! It's hard, I myself think that there isn't any giant varieties, period. My Ceph 'German Giant' got almost 2 inchers [1.5 I think] at about 2.5 years old, they're max size at like 4 I think. So, I mean, it would've probably hit around 2 - 2.3 inches or so but that's just a big Ceph, not necessarily giant. I just think it's luck of the draw and how well you take care of the thing, assuming it doesn't die off randomly for no reason whatsoever like mine did. Had the same stable conditions for over a year and it just died.

Wow, would love to have something like that! It's hard, I myself think that there isn't any giant varieties, period. My Ceph 'German Giant' got almost 2 inchers [1.5 I think] at about 2.5 years old, they're max size at like 4 I think. So, I mean, it would've probably hit around 2 - 2.3 inches or so but that's just a big Ceph, not necessarily giant. I just think it's luck of the draw and how well you take care of the thing, assuming it doesn't die off randomly for no reason whatsoever like mine did. Had the same stable conditions for over a year and it just died.

I can definitely attest that there are "giant" varieties of Cephalotus. I grow a good number of the "varieties" and the "typical" form is normally about half the size of my "Hummer's Giant," though there are infrequent exceptions where they can achieve like size. The so-called "German Giant," though, is notorious for being a slow grower and most of my plants have far outstripped those, at least in terms of speed.

Cultivation methods also play a primary role in any plant species reaching its maximum size and Cephalotus is certainly no different. Most plants I've seen are overwatered, kept in far too humid an environment without ample ventilation (inviting pests), and very poorly-lit . . .

the plant is starting to experience a die-off now. one of the pitchers that used to be really red is turning brown :(

Back