What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Okay, I want to make a minibog for some sars I want to order from Andy. I couldn't seem to find any thread explaining how to put one together. So I have a few questions.
1. Is circulating the bog important or is it an unnecessary step?
2. Is the entire bog supposed to be your favorite mix or are there multiple layers?
3. What size and shape pot would you suggest?
4. I live in zone 6/5 (depends on the map I look at) so should I keep them dormant outside or in the bulked? (those "calm doors" in scottychaos uses)
5. What mix do you find best for a bog?

Also, do you think I should add any plants to my want list? Oh, and if you read this Andy, will some of these plants come back in stock? :blush:
*S. x Catesbaei
*S. purpurea var. venosa
*S. Flava var. rugelii
*S. Flava var. rubricorpora
*S. Flava var. cuprea
*S. leucophylla (not sure witch variety)
*S. x Moorei

Any help would be great!

It depends on what you're talking about. A mini-bog as in plants in large pots or in the ground bogs? If you mean large pot, then...

1. You don't need to.
2. I guess you can have layers, but generally you just put in your favored mix. Mine is just 50/50 peat and perlite.
3. Depends on how many Sarracenias there will be. If there's about four or five, I'd suggest one that's 4 gallons or so if you want them to be finely spaced. Mini-bogs can be of almost any shape or size, doesn't really matter as long as you know they're not cramped.
4. When you say outside, do you mean unprotected or protected with mulch and such. It won't really matter if it'll be inside or not as long as it's protected from freezing temperatures (But Sarracenias are pretty hardy), it's up to you.
5. I used 1:1 peat and perlite, but it depends on what mix you prefer, I suppose.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. :p

Ant
I have mine in a round 25 gallon pond/planter tub. I drilled holes about 1/3 down form the top so the top 1/3 stays wet but not water logged. I used 2/1/1/1 peat/perlite/vermicalite/sand. with LFS as a top dressing. I do not circulate my water. I put a plastic shoe storage box in the bottom. I drilled a bunch of holes all around it and then stuck 3" diameter PVC pipe in the top so it sticks above my soil so I can fill the box.

Sarracenia in the ground are safe to 0 degrees F, and in the pot to 20 degrees F.

It depends on what you're talking about. A mini-bog as in plants in large pots or in the ground bogs? If you mean large pot, then...

1. You don't need to.
2. I guess you can have layers, but generally you just put in your favored mix. Mine is just 50/50 peat and perlite.
3. Depends on how many Sarracenias there will be. If there's about four or five, I'd suggest one that's 4 gallons or so if you want them to be finely spaced. Mini-bogs can be of almost any shape or size, doesn't really matter as long as you know they're not cramped.
4. When you say outside, do you mean unprotected or protected with mulch and such. It won't really matter if it'll be inside or not as long as it's protected from freezing temperatures (But Sarracenias are pretty hardy), it's up to you.
5. I used 1:1 peat and perlite, but it depends on what mix you prefer, I suppose.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. :p

Sarracenia in the ground are safe to 0 degrees F, and in the pot to 20 degrees F.

Yeah, freezing temperatures. Or does "freezing temperatures" mean 32 and below? Because I meant temperatures around 20.

Ant,

I have an outdoor bog garden (12 ft long by 10 ft wide growing in a zone 5 climate). I just used 1 part sand/ 1 part peat and lined the garden first with a few inches of sand and then with a plastic pond liner. I used the water from the hose only after i tested the water quality and found it was ok to use. Rain water seemed to help flushing it out. This winter i piled on pine needles over all my plants to protect from repeated freezing/thawing. It thrived last spring and summer, and I am still waiting to uncover it since there is still snow over it. Btw I planted plants in the garden after about 2 weeks of letting the peat and sand settle.

nice. I may make a bog when I move out, I am looking for more of a large pot type bog. Thanks for the help. I will probably look for a nice pot soon. I am thinking of lining the bottom of the pot with sand, then filling it with a 1 part perlite one part peat mix and possibly getting some moss. I think I will be keeping the plants dormant in my bulked like scottychaos.

Back