What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much heat can Ceph take?

Cephliebhaber

Zwergkrug
In the comming summer vacation,I 'll have to leave the dormitory for at least two months and therefore nobody is going to take care of my ceph during that period of time. I do wonder,whether it 'd be possible for ceph to survive under the following conditions for two months.
1. Here in Shanghai, the temperature in summer can sometimes soar to 38C(100F),and the annoying weather can last for half a month;but the temperature at night can always drop below 30C(85).
2. Since the plant is going to be left unattended for 2 months, I 'd cover a piece of preservative film on top in order to prevent the soil from drying out.But a new problem arises------there 'd be no ventilation at all and the humidity would be constantly saturated.
3. I 'd leave it on the balcony,where no direct sunlight can reach the plant but since the balcony faces south,it is always very bright in sunny days.
By now the plant is just one inch across and has six baby pitchers with open lids and another three tiny unopened pitchers.I give up the idea of putting a layer of sphagnom on the surface of the soil 'cause I fear that the dead sphagnom would rot and cause fungus problems.But some sporadic points of live sphagnom are happily growing around my baby ceph.
HUGS.

your humidity and water issue is really more of a dilemma than anything else...

give it to someone who can babysit it, you've got better odds of it surviving...

100% humidity and no watering or air ventilation is going to kill it.

I don't know if leaving it outside would be such a great idea. It could rain or something and get overwatered, but you probably know the weather there better than me.

They also grow fairly well inside, under artificial lighting, where the temp will be more comfortable.

Thank u for your replies anyway. I'd probably consider having my brother take care of it then.

LOL! Family members have a nasty tendency to kill CP's.

Still, even an inept family member is better than just hoping it makes it while you're gone.

Back