What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs a bloomin'

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flava

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Well the blooming season is upon us so I figured I'd share.

A Phil F cross (leuco "purple lips x flava cuprea)
P4270003.jpg

P4290008.jpg

The flava corner
P4270008.jpg

P4270010.jpg

P4270009.jpg

A confused flava
P4270004.jpg

And the most mutated bloom I have seen on a Sarr ('Reptilian Rose')
P4290003.jpg

P4290003.jpg

P4290003.jpg

P4290007.jpg

Hope you enjoy

I love the confused flava flower. LOL. Neat deformed flower. It looks more like the "umbrella" broke off, though. :x Great Sarrs.

Awesome, like capensis said, the reptilian rose flower looks great! mutated, but great.

pollinating a flower

I attempted to pollinate some flowers this morning however when I put the cuetip in and rolled it to collect pollen as I pulled the cuetip out I did not see any pollen. Does this mean that the pollen is not ready or is the pollen pretty small that you may not see it. This is the first attempt at self pollinating so I am not quite sure.

Thanks for any help

Chad

Here's a collective picture of some of mine:

05-02-2009-bogs.jpg

The new location at the new house really seems to bring out the colors in my sarras. I love this time of year!

I attempted to pollinate some flowers this morning however when I put the cuetip in and rolled it to collect pollen as I pulled the cuetip out I did not see any pollen. Does this mean that the pollen is not ready or is the pollen pretty small that you may not see it. This is the first attempt at self pollinating so I am not quite sure.

Thanks for any help

Chad

The pollen is sometimes close enough to white in color that it is difficult to see on the white cotton without magnification. If the pollen is ripe enough usually a good amount collects in the "umbrella" (style). The pollen should be clearly visible against the green of the style. It is also a good idea to collect pollen directly from the anthers which may be fresher and less likely to be contaminated with pollen from other plants dropped by visiting bees.

Just repeat a few times every couple days in case things were not ripe or receptive.

It has been observed that multiple hand pollination attempts may lead to better seed sets.

See this article on how to pollinate Sarracenia flowers. The photos however are no longer online.

Oh my, brokken those are gorgeous!!!

Thanks for the reply. I just hand pollinated them today but was unsure if I had enough pollen as I could not see it but I will do again over the next few days.

this is one of my 3 flowers:

s. minor:
27mar0911.jpg

Hey Pyro,

Too bad your bog smells like a litter box :p

Otherwise good show!

Great stuff brokken!

Here's a collective picture of some of mine:

The new location at the new house really seems to bring out the colors in my sarras. I love this time of year!

Neat deformed flower. It looks more like the "umbrella" broke off, though. :x Great Sarrs.

Trust me, it did not just break off :) Close examination of the end shows that the umbrella just aborted and never formed. No breakage, no damage.

Hey Pyro,

Too bad your bog smells like a litter box :p

The sign of well grown flava is their abundance of blooms :p Not my fault they reek

Back