What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia pot

petmantis

ermahgerd
Hey, i just got myself a nice 6 inch across, 6 inch deep round, ceramic pot. how do i clean it, so there are no extra minerals that might pose a threat to the plant? the darlingtonia right now is in a small 3.5 inch square plastic pot, with the media being 100% live sphagnum. it's sitting in a 1inch deep tray of cold water, and has a modified styrofoam box that surrounds the pot to prevent heating/evaporation of the water.

i plan to keep the 100% live sphagnum media, and to get rid of the water tray so the roots don't rot. also, i may try something like this: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010j.html

Thanks for any information!

Given your location I don't think you need to worry about a cooling box.

Just oversize the pot with an airy mixture - at least 50/50 perlite/long fiber sphagnum. 60-70% perlite maybe even better. Pure live Sphagnum is a good choice if you have enough available to fill a pot.

Top water regularly and keep standing water to a minimum except on hot, dry days.

If it's a new pot, you don't need to clean it. If it's an old pot, you probably shouldn't use it. If you insist, soak it in white vinegar for a day and then wash it in mineral-free water, then repeat a few times.
Why are you using ceramic anyways? Plastic is way easier and where you're located, it probably won't make a big difference temperature-wise. I grow all my Darlingtonia in plastic.
~Joe

Oh really? awesome! i'm thinking of using it because i've heard a few stories of how darlingtonia grow better in porous pots, so this seemed appropriate.

Saying that they grow better in ceramic is kind of misleading. Ceramic pots help them ignore the effects of inappropriate cultural conditions, such as too much heat. In the right climate, though, I don't think you'd see much of any difference between plants in ceramic and plants in plastic. If anything, I would guess the biggest difference would be that the ceramic pot needs water more often.
~Joe

get a glazed ceramic pot, instead of just a bisque fired one...

I prefer the simple unglazed terracotta. It is far more porous and allows some air exchange not possible with glazed pots. I have successfully used them for years with a number of species . . .

I lost a large lovely Cobra Lily last summer due to having it in a terracotta planter.

It basically dried out. Dried out too darn fast is what had happened. I was watering it every-other day too. You miss a day and it's a gonner... :(

Now that I learned my lesson about terracotta pots & CP's; I am growing two new baby Darlingtonias in well-draining plastic pots.

yeah my comment was really I guess more directed to specifically the note of having to water them more...

if its glazed its obviously not porous and therefor maintains the water better...and if there ever was a concern for the leaching of minerals the glazing would help to fix that also...

but I'm sticking to plastic... its just easier...

Back