What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New at Darlingtonia

Interesting. It looks like I should also go for an oversized pot/tray. Is this correct. Thanks

Yea, you want enough of the water to be in the tray so the pump can function properly. also, make sure that the darlintonia pot is NOT sitting in the tray, just barely touching. you can elevate it using a few stones or bottle caps, i guess.

Cool Looks my idea is spreading!

Bob, try www.Drsfosterandsmith.com. I get a lot of my aquarium stuff there...I'm sure they have a smaller pump. (In fact I'm positive they do.)

If you want, you can just get the 50 gph pump and cut off a couple of the intake pinion needles/paddles to lower the power of the flow. A lot of people do this in the reefing community.

Pet, in your design, why not have the pump on the bottom in the water tray and a pipe leading up to the plant with a 90 degree pvc elbow at the end? That would probably be a lot easier to set up and and might even look a little better.

Pe, the whole pump system was my idea which I told you on the chatbox :)

I don't think a 13 year old could have a credit card. :3 Or paypal.

I wouldn't buy all that fancy schmancy stuff just yet, just test your conditions out. For a while I was scared of Darlintonia until someone gave me one, and I just tried it out in my bog, and it's growing fine.

I would just test and see before buying all this stuff.

Good point halt. I will try that. if my lowe's gets some in I will go ahead and try my best, and if iit dies i'll try this fancy stuff. Thank you everyone for your help.

I don't think a 13 year old could have a credit card. :3 Or paypal.

No, but a 13 year old usually has parents with a credit card and paypal.

I'm just improving the design, not endorsing it.

Actually carn i used a pump for my darlintonia last year, lol. but then it broke :/

Interesting. It looks like I should also go for an oversized pot/tray. Is this correct. Thanks
Yes - bigger is better. Look for a pot that's used for young trees or hedges - something that's deeper than it is wide. I have most of my adult pitcher plants in pots that are a foot or more deep and they love it. Darlingtonia like to spread out and bud off new plants in bigger containers, so it's worth the effort to find a nice, big pot for them. You might ask your dad to buy an apple tree or something similar - get one that comes in a nursery pot and then you get a big pot for less than the price of a large planter from the garden store, and a tree as a bonus. If you search around you can probably find a large bucket that will work for a reservoir, or you can use an open container like a plastic wading pool. Concrete mixing tubs from building supply stores also make good water trays, and they're generally less than ten dollars.
Look for small fountain pumps and the like. I don't come across them as often as the big pond-sized ones, but they're out there. If you find a smaller pump and there's still too much flow, you can always connect multiple hoses and divert some of the output elsewhere, like to other plants, or just back into your reservoir. You'll see offerings for live Sphagnum on the trade board from time to time - it's not too hard to come by.
Thanks for the link, NaN - that's one of the best threads we have for the subject. For emphasis:
~Joe

sounds great. I think I now have everthing except the large pot, and more importantly, the darlingtonia.

Here's a surprise from yesterday:

Picture013-2.jpg

Almost open:

Picture001-5.jpg

Two!? No fair! I've only got one and it appears to be stunted. :/
~Joe

LOL! I've paid my dues!

Hehe, I wonder what the dues total after flushing a pot down a stream. :D
~Joe

Picture019-1.jpg

Back