What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia for New England

r_miller

Newbie CP grower
I'm here in southern Rhode Island, and I want to expand my Sarracenia collection from one measly S. purpurea. I was wondering what other Sarracenia would be good for my climate, as there is limited information on this topic, regarding my area. I was thinking S. rubra, or S. flava myself, but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

By the way, I am on the fringe between zones 6b and 7a, given the tolerance zone in 6b would dip into the negatives (Fahrenheit), and 7a would be 0 degrees to about 10 degrees (Fahrenheit). The coldest temperature recorded during the whole of this past winter was 2.8 degrees, at a school less than a mile from my house.

Thanks for reading,

Ryan

Last edited:
you can grow any sarracenia you want, just need to provide shelter during winter...basement, garage, somewhere dark and cool.....

Your climate is the same as mine in Western NC. My outdoor bog has S. x ladies in waiting, S. x flava, S. x judith hindle, S. rubra ssp alabamensis, S. rubra ssp. rubra, S. x scarlet belle, S. x dana's delight, S. purpurea ssp. venosa, S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana, S. minor, S. leucophylla "tarnok".

It got down near zero last winter. S. leucophylla "tarnok", S. rubra ssp. rubra, S. rubra ssp. alabamensis didn't come back very strong. Everything else looks pretty good so far. You could always put some pine needles over your bog if you're worried about it.

leuco is very cold sensitive, as is rubra IFRC

Wow, thanks for the prompt answers! I think I'm going to go with a S. flava.

Speaking of mulching, I've heard that fungus can develop under the mulch. Is this common?

flava is a great sarra. i have a few varieties of it. i love em all

Sarracenia in Iowa

This was my first winter after my sarracenia grew like weeds last summer. Here in Iowa zone 5 there are many days and nights that are at 0 degree F or below. I overwintered my plants in the garage in a cooler with packaging peanuts. I had rubra rubra, judith hindle, scarlet belle, purperea and VFT all survive and are back to growing. I how ever lost a leucophylla tarnok and not sure if it was do to the cold or the fact that I had it in a pot that was a little to wet and possible root rot. Any ideas how to overwinter leucophylla while decreaseing the risk of killing it as I doubt I could use the fride to keep the temps above zero as my wife would not like that. Also any other growers in zone 5/4 area.

Thanks

CHad

I'm in NW WI (not far from the Twin Cities). I keep mine in an unheated garage from Nov.-Mar/Apr. We can get several nights a winter that drop down to 15-20F below zero. The coldest it will get in the garage is about 10F. I don't do anything special, just drag the tubs in there once really cold weather settles in. The one thing I've noticed is that it seems that plants that are grown individually in small pots are more susceptible to dying than those in larger pots. I have a couple of lg. circular tubs, about 2' diameter and 10" deep. I haven't lost any plants out of those, but I have lost a lot of plants that were just kept individually in pots. I just bought a larger tub, about 4' across and 14" deep, actually it's from a farm supply store, meant for feedling/watering livestock. I'm putting what plants I have left into that (I'll probabably need to get another one yet), and hopefully I won't lose anymore.

Another thing I should add is that I just don't get the flowers that I used to. I lived in Missouri and VA Beach before moving here. My first summer here in WI (moved here in april '04), I had well over 100 flowers. Last year I had 6. This year, I only see 1 so far, but things are still just slowly waking up. Part of this is the # of plants that I lost, but I'm sure the other part is the climate. I think the growing season is just too short up here. Like I said, I just see a flower and the first pitchers of the year starting to grow now, and the first hard freeze usually comes in mid/late October. So that's approx. 5-6 months tops per year. Fortunately, my wife has a greenhouse at her work that I can use, so I put seedlings in there. Need to get my own though.

plants in their own pots are definitely more susceptible to the cold. especially small pots, gotta think about it, they are easier to freeze solid and are less insolated than a larger bog garden or pot of multiple plants.

EDIT: Nevermind that question.

I think I'm going to go with a flava, unless there is anything else I should know about.

If you can provide light they'll appreciate it but during dormancy it's not necessary. Actually I recall hearing that below a certain temp they can't photosynthesize anyway.

You dont need to give them light during dormancy, no.
but some plants such as oreophila, flava, and i think leucophylla do on occasions, will produce leaf structures called phyllodia which allow the plant to photosynthesize through winter.

I noticed that all my plants are starting to produce picthers and no flowers here in Iowa. I know they are mature as I bought them with flowers last year. That is to bad that in my climate they are not going to be as productive with the flowers. I do know someone that can store the plants in his greenhouse where he overwintered his and they are know producing alot of flower so I may have to go that route. Anyone else in zone 5 have the same issues with decreased flowering

I live in Saratoga Springs, NY, zone 4/5, depending on the winter. I have an outdoor bog with S. Purpurea (southern, not northern variety), S. Psitticina, S. Flava, and S. Minor - they were covered with straw for the winter - and they all are coming back with new pitchers. We got as cold as -20F last winter. This was the first winter for the bog, and was very surprised to see the S. Minor and S. Psit make it!

Jeremy

Back