What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what do I do with headless Sarr flower stalks?

I had 3 BEAUTIFUL Saracenia flower stalks this year, one a red form Psittacina and 2 Flava "cutthroats". It isn't a big amount of flowers, but they're my first, so I was excited. About a month back, the Psitt flower aborted for a reason that only the Psitt and God knows. Then a sweet little 2 year old that lives here happens to know how to use scissors, and she went on a flower-stalk-beheading streak with them, and assasinated the Cutthroats. I was REALLY, REALLY frusturated! Anyway, I know have 2 headless Flava flower stalks, and one aborted Psittacina flower stalk that still has its head. What should I do with them? Can I use the flower stalks as a propagation method to get more Sarracenias?(other than TC) I know that there's a post almost like this about Cephs right now, but I'm not sure if what works (or doesn't ) for a Cephalotus will (or won't) for a Sarracenia Flava or Psittacina.
Happy growing & God bless!

Aslan

Flower cuttings don't work with sarracenia, sadly. There are a few species you can do leaf pullings with...S. rosea, S. psittacina, and S. purpurea, and most of their hybrids...but flower stalk cuttings don't work. You can just snip the rest of the stalk off if you'd like.

It's not going to produce anything and it visually doesn't compliment the plant. Some would argue that the plant gets some photosynthates from the green stem, but personally I would just snip it.

Sadly, you can't propagate sarras via their flower stalk.

Oh well. Thanks anyway. At least I know I need a barrier or something to keep out 'things'.
Would Tissue Culture work? I don't have a TC kit, but I coud give them to someone who does so the stalks wouldn't go to waste.

Aslan

I think that maybe the stalks can be used for TC... I seem to remember reading that somewhere. If you have a friend that does that kind of stuff it would probably be worth trying one or two flasks. I wouldn't ask someone to invest a serious amount of effort into the first try, though.
~Joe

Sarracenia are very stubborn to start in tissue culture. Practically the only tissue source that will strike comes from the apical meristem which usually means the destruction of the donor plant. Once you do get a strike, however, you can subculture the tissue like crazy.

Back