What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My terra - DIAL UP WARNING -

Left side of my terra
DSC06491.jpg

middle left
DSC06496.jpg

middle right
DSC06497.jpg

right
DSC06498.jpg

ceph
DSC06501.jpg

indoor cp's
DSC06505.jpg

Wow, nice tank. I bet your going to look forward to everything spreading out.

Very nice. What are the neps in the terrarium?

uh oh, is that a healthy plug of utric I saw in there?

thats going to overgrow that tank in a matter of minutes!

ask crissytal she had a planted tank and her utrics took over the entire tank...

something you may want to think about :)

the tank looks really nice though,

hopefully there wasn't a combination of tropical and temperate plants... becuase that'd be a mess come winter time...

and now that I double check...

every thing in that tank has different requirements almost...

a bad idea for a planted tank unfortunately :(

sorry

Very nice Bloke! Though Chris is right, I did make the mistake of putting some Utrics in a planted terrarium that I had a couple years back. They will take over.

Good luck!!
Crystal

EDIT: What temps is your terrarium getting? I ask because you are growing both Helis and Petiolaris Complex sundews together. I think that's interesting.

Last edited:
every thing in that tank has different requirements almost..
When I saw the pics I thought of Pyro's tagline
'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'
While it's not exactly appropriate, it will be interesting to see which plants 'win' .... Please provide updates so we can see how things develop.

I can't speak for the petiolaris variety that bloke is growing, but I've successfully grown D. falconerii in 65-70 degree F temps (with a slight temp drop) and ~60-70% humidity. As long as it gets enough light, and you always keep the soil moist (because it will begin the "inward spiral" if you consistently leave the soil drier), it will keep growing and getting bigger. However, higher temps may be critical for his petio.

Nidiformis and Aliciae will grow well in there, and Adelae and Capensis eventually will take over in these conditions, although a bit slower than the Utrics :) Even if you think you dug the whole thing out, there will most likely be a few survivors, that will eventually take over. However, it will be a much slower take-over process if you take them out right away.

It shouldn't be that hard with the D. rotundifolia, since it can be easily dug up and put in the fridge when it goes dormant (and yes, it most likely will go dormant on its own, no matter what photoperiod or warmth you give it :p).

The ceph should be perfectly fine. I have a small one that I've been growing from a leaf cutting for a half year now, and it just keeps getting bigger. Although my conditions aren't ideal, and growth has been slower, it still has about 15-20 smaller pitchers and keeps sending out new ones. Feeding it greatly speeds up growth.

If those pings are Mexican, no problems either. They are very easy.

If you have cooler temps, the Heli should be fine. It looks like its doing very well.

The only things you might have to worry about are the Sarras and the Neps. Sarras like to naturally go dormant, for the most part, but they should be fine for a while (sometimes up to a few years before they get exhausted). Although, I "gave" my Cobra dormancy by chopping off all its dead leaves, and packing it up in the fridge. After I took it out recently, it is coming back to life quite nicely ;). Although this is NOT recommended by anyone, I had no other way to do this, since it was growing under lights, and it luckily worked for me. Depending upon what species of Nepenthes you have in there, they will either do well, or not so well. Some hybrids will thrive in any conditions you give them, but others are a bit more picky...

so for the most part, you should be fine.

Thats U. Livida, Bloke gace me a small plug, and its huge and flowering now!

I'm just a little worried about Cephs, Mexican Pinguicula, Heliamphora, Nepenthes, and Sarracenia all growing in the same soil and environment.

Blokeman has been growing them together for a long time, and they seem unaffected!

Wow, i never expected so many comments :)

Capensis: the bagged one is bicalcarata, the other two are ampulaira

cmm388: i'd agree with you, but i'm doing it out of fun, to learn to see if plants can adapt to other 'happy-medium' conditions

crystal: 25-26 cel day, room temp nights(depending on season, varies between 10c and 21c)
ok, so to try to answer all of your questions... but before i do, i'm growing it like this cause it's fun, and i like to see and learn from a plants behaviour.

The temperates are just plain not happy in there... rotund is going dormant, anglica is dormant, and intermedia as well... tey have to come out. as for the s. catesbaei, well, once it's big enough, it'll be moved outside, or at least in partial sunlight. got it as a gift, and i like the look.

i agree about the utric, but i have a plan, i let about 3 inches diameter around it, to allow it to spread without being in contact with other root systems (ya right, i'll eventually always find u. livida in my moved plants, it really spreads) i'll eventually just keep the 'heart' of it, and trade off the sides that branch out. but i'm not worried, i like the look, and i have a little competition going between the livida and bisquamata, and soon to arrive sandersonii (evil bunny ears).

the heli minor is real happy, and the terra sees a decent temp. drop at night, it's making real nice nectar spoons now, and from what it looked like when it first started off, they aren't that slow growing.

i like to see which do well amongst each other, and you guys are right, the temperates are just not meant to be with the tropicals, i cut the capensis stalks, i keep finding rogue binata from old roots that pop up when moving the plants around (which is real sweet to watch grow, it thought it was rotundifolia, until a newer trap may a Y...)

i'm sure, come a year from now, i'll have sorted all of them into their proper terra's setups.

Don't forget to have fun guys and girls, that's why we grow these plants! It's well worth losing a plant over 6 months due to it not being in it's proper conditions, and all the while learning and researching what might be wrong. I ended up learning more than what i was intending on learning in the first place. (in reference to my n. ephippiata :( )

LIVE AND LEARN :)

Heli Minor
PB140118.jpg

d. alicia, capensis 'red' (not red :p)
PB140119.jpg

d. lanata, dielsiana, ping weser, d adelae...
PB140120.jpg

nep amp, ceph typical, non-flowering ping is a pirouette, binata
PB140121.jpg

byblis liniflora, s catesbaei in back, d. paradoxa, heli h x m, n bical, u. subulata.
PB140122.jpg

far right capensis, back right, n amp
PB140123.jpg

side view
PB140124.jpg

2 inch bical
PB140125.jpg

WOW!! I'm very jealous... awsome terra!!!

Wow! Well, you certainly achieved the goal of letting it ALL grow in...incredible setup :D

Lovely! Looks like you have your own little jungle of carnivores in there, huh? :)

Wow, that is a lot of plants I would never even attempt to grow together! You should put in a fly and see witch way it dies. lol

OH DAMN DUDE! Big BIG! update. the bical looked dead.. fer sure!

Wow. I am speechless. That is awsome. I could go on for hours.

Great job making the best of it - I never would've expected this kind of success. Have you noticed any change in conditions or are they pretty much the same as you had reported in spring?
Very striking. I especially like the Byblis. (Reminds me of a Christmas tree, heh.) I'll be curious to see how it develops.
~Joe

Wow, that is a lot of plants I would never even attempt to grow together! You should put in a fly and see witch way it dies. lol

LMAO!! I totally agree. LOL!! I think that itself will make a great betting game with your friends. lol!! amazing tank man!! truly a jungle in there.

Back