What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ceph

petmantis

ermahgerd
I just got my first Ceph as a B-day present from a fellow Quebec CP'er :D :) Well without further ado, here it is! Sorry for the unfocused shots, my hand was shaking from excitement when i got it :p

DSC06430.jpg

Its pitcher
DSC06431.jpg

...and my finger for size comparison :D

DSC06433.jpg

What'dya think! :D

Awww, it's just a baby! :D

Yes i know, it's from a pitcher cutting from a mature plant :D the big pitcher is from the mother plant :)

it's around an inch in length ;)

Cute. :D Good luck with your new Ceph.

Nice plant there . . .

I would be careful not to keep its soil so wet. Cephalotus are quite susceptible to fungal-borne diseases, including Botrytis -- particularly at that young age; and it's the most common reason for failure in seedlings . . .

Ok BigBella, actually just the top thin layer is moist peat. The rest (under that) is Peat:perlite mix. Should this work? the person who gave me this uses peat:perlite for his cephs, so i guess it should work.

Ok BigBella, actually just the top thin layer is moist peat. The rest (under that) is Peat:perlite mix. Should this work? the person who gave me this uses peat:perlite for his cephs, so i guess it should work.

The mix should be fine but a load of sodden peat moss can be a problem. It should be moist to the touch but nothing beyond that. Some growers put a very thin layer of horticultural sand on the surface to discourage moss and algal growth. Another preventative measure is to immediately remove any dead material and to provide consistent bright light and moving air. Keeping these plants in a sealed container without ventilation is definitely not recommended . . .

So, should i take the wet peat layer off?

" what works for one person, may not work for you"

gotta keep that in mind, his conditions are different than yours more than likely...
let your conditions dictate what media you use and at what percentage. instead of just choosing something that works for someone else...

if your conditions are hotter and less humid, than you need a more water content in your media

and vice versa, if you have a more humid condition than you'll need more drainage...

also... another common thing that is seen around cephs is the 'mound' technique, where the media actually slopes upwards towards the center... that helps the water from pooling and potentially rotting your ceph's crown...

just some ideas... :)

Good luck!

One thing I warn you, you may think you are keeping it drier then the rest of your plants but, mine refused to grow/survive until I let the surface dry out completely down maybe half a centimeter down then watering it until water just starts to come out the bottom. With that method it replaced the dead growth point and made 2 new ones!

Cute ceph baby! But if I were you, I'd try using a larger pot(esp. deeper) in order to avoid frequent repotting ,which could result in disastrous consequences.

Back