What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential Cultivar?

Here's a 15-month-old seedling, an open-pollinated alata 'black' x flava 'red', that I have that I just can't get over the coloration. Am I wrong to think it has cultivar potential? Obviously, I'd wait several years before truly considering it, but I think it definitely has potential, if it can maintain that very dark red coloration throughout the pitcher.

alataxflavaop1.jpg

How big do you think it will grow? That has a lot of potential!

I'd say that has a huge potential! Congratulations on such a nice seedling! I would wait until it flower to register it. Is it a slow grower like flava rubricorpora? Based off the picture I'd say no!

well, like i said it's barely a year old, but it's pretty good-sized for that age, I think. i have no idea how big it'll get, I guess it depends on what pollinated it. if I had to guess, i'd say it was self-pollinated, but there's no way of knowing. I had a lot of flowers that year, so it could be anything. if i had to guess, i'd say it'll probably reach at least 20" in height. the mother plant gets fairly tall. i guess time will tell. i actually have several of its siblings that have very similar dark-red coloration. here's one of 'em:
alataxflavaop2.jpg

Cool, maybe you can call it S. x "Bloody Vein". Lol, I sure you can think of a much better name then me, but when I saw it I just thought blood color and its long and about the same width throughout so I thought vein.

It's beautiful. Good luck with it and it's sibling. They are both very nice.

nice, I love seed grown sarracenia

Speaking only for myself here, I believe before you register a plant as a cultivar you should first grow it to maturity and observe it carefully the whole time. Then you need to make a number of divisions and ensure it is in a few other collections as backups. And then you may want to wait to get feedback from those other growers as to how their plants behave under conditions different then yours.

DOing these things ensures that the traits you see are consistent across the board with what others will see and also ensures that if you lose your plant there is still a supply of them out there. (there are a couple horror stories out there of a cultivar disappearing from cultivation because there was only one plant in one collection...)

After those conditions have been met only then do I think you should register a plant.

My 2 cents, take them as you will

I agree with Pro. See how it goes and in a few years it could well be a candidate!

oh, i know. i actually said in my first post i would wait several years to evaluate it.

Nice plants. I always love red/black tube plants. I think it has potential...

Like it too! Wasn't there a cultivar, 'Black Widow' or something, that was in the March ICPS newsletter? (Wrong forum , I know) Had the same parentage, and looked remarkably similar, notwithstanding that it was mature. I wonder if you COULD submit it as a cultivar, since they have the same parentage/have the same characteristics? By same I mean deep coloration, vigor, etc. I know that some cultivars, like all the VFTs, look similar, but it's a monotypic genus! I am no expert at cultivars, but I'm wondering what other people think about it? I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all! I think it's a beautiful plant, and congratulate ya for getting it that old, since I dont have luck with seedlings at all!

Good growing!
Aslan

Like it too! Wasn't there a cultivar, 'Black Widow' or something, that was in the March ICPS newsletter? (Wrong forum , I know) Had the same parentage, and looked remarkably similar, notwithstanding that it was mature. I wonder if you COULD submit it as a cultivar, since they have the same parentage/have the same characteristics? By same I mean deep coloration, vigor, etc. I know that some cultivars, like all the VFTs, look similar, but it's a monotypic genus! I am no expert at cultivars, but I'm wondering what other people think about it? I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all! I think it's a beautiful plant, and congratulate ya for getting it that old, since I dont have luck with seedlings at all!

Good growing!
Aslan

That's all depends on whether the flava ' red' is a rubricorpora. If it is then it would be the same parentage but NOT the same clone. Registered hybrids like Black widow are registered by the specific look, not by parentage.

A better example is Moorei. There is Leah Wilkerson and Adrian Slack which are also thought to be different Moorei crosses. All have a thought to be similar parentage but the differences between each are very prominent.
Parentage does not restrict only 1 hybrid to be named, rather it is registration is done by traits as well as including the name of the parental plants if they are known.

Yes, Black Widow was alata black x RTF. But I am going to go out on a limb and say that its parents and the parents of the above are totally unrelated based on what I know of Widow ;) So this plant could easily become its own cultivar should it merit it. It just can not be Widow.

Here is a nice early season Widow:
Widow.jpg

And one from late last year
BlackWidow0615083.jpg

Wow those are AMAZING Pyro, congratulations on acquiring such a nice specimen. Have any more we can drooool over? ;)

Any updates?

Whewww..fantabulous!!
I would be more than happy to foster a division when the time comes ;)

Am I the only one that thinks "x Purple Heart" would be appropriate?

I would be more than happy to foster a division when the time comes ;)
I will second that!!

Those are really nice. The second one is my favorite. Just how old are these? 2?

Back