What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repot a S. Dixie Lace?

• Thread starter els_22
  • Start date
Hey everyone,

I have a S. Dixie Lace that is in a small square pot (the one i got when I bought it in February). It was small when I got it and over the past few months it grew at an incredible rate. :banana2:The last few weeks, however, it has stayed around the same size without any further growth in size or pitcher development. ???

Is this typical of this type of plant? Does it have a lull in its development, or is the size of the pot hindering its growth?

Any suggestions or hints for this plant would be greatly appreciated!!!

Daniel

I believe this is normal. You may want someone elses opinion. I think it would help to see a picture. If there are still new pitchers coming up, it is probaly fine. it is normal for sarrs to only be a certain size for most of the season without growth, But like I said, you may want to see what other people say.

Bob is correct, the size of the pitchers is generally set for each season with Sarrs. It is rare that they keep producing large and larger pitchers steadily over the season.

If your DL is in a 3-4" pot it should be fine for at least a year. If you have anything more than 4-5 growth points you may want to think about going up in size.

I've found it can go either way. Depends quite a bit on the species. Generally speaking for hybrids (excluding simple hybrids of leucophylla), if it has plenty of room and catches lots of bugs you could see larger and larger pitchers throughout spring and summer. Leucophylla and simple hybrids of leucophylla almost always make better pitchers later in the summer.

Gently pop it out of the pot. If the roots are touching the sides then "shift" it to a larger pot without breaking up the root ball. Its very very challenging to grow bog plants in small containers. They despise hot roots!

Back