What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Questions

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I was wondering what months i should take the plants i have in the garage out. I already did it this year, but im wondering for next year. Also, if there is a flower, should i just bring it out? no matter what month, at last march or later. Also, for my bog garden, could i uncover it in early april?

I would say whatever month it starts to stay constantly above freezing, but I am not sure...

k also happy birthday!

I took my minibog buckets out in April, thinking that there wouldn't be any more frosts. I was wrong. I had to move everything to the garage for a couple days. I lost one developing flower out of about 10.

I have handeled early Spring in two ways:

1. take the plants out of Dormancy on February 15..leave them inside until night-time lows are above freezing on a regular basis..usually Mid-April, then put them outdoors for the season.

Problem with that method..plants are indoors for 2 months without enough light..(sitting in front of a window isnt nearly enough light) growth is weak and spindly, then burns when put in the sun outdoors.

2. A method I tried this spring..put the plants outside when days are above freezing..in March..bring them in if its going to frost or freeze overnight..

positive - plants get good light through March..
negative - its a major hassle to carry them in and out for a month to 6 weeks..especially with my three heavy minibogs..

So for next spring, im going to try a third method:

3. build a wagon!
some kind of wooden platform, perhaps with a traditional "red wagon" as the base..
all my plants can fit on the platform..then I can wheel them out on the driveway when I leave for work in the morning, then wheel them back into the garage at night..no heavy lifting required.

around here (Western NY) the entire month of March and into Mid-April is generally abive freezing during the day, btu below freezing at night..

I dont leave my plants outside day&night until nights are consistently above freezing..as I said, generally mid-April most years.

Scot

I like the wagon idea! BTW, Scot and I live about an hour apart. Different lakes but same weather and climate.

Next year I will wait a few weeks longer to move them out. Normally I do it mid February, I'll wait until March next year.

Back