What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove Moss(?) from Sarracenia x catesbaei?

I bought these yesterday at a local nursery, and the 4" pots have all this growth around them. The plants seem healthy, but I was wondering if I should remove all this excess plantlife around them...

IMG_2979.JPG

I can't see the photo, but the moss won't do any harm. Feel free to remove it for aesthetic reasons though.

i see both pics clearly. I got the same type of moss (not sphagnum) in mine too. Plant looks healthy so it's up to you.

:redx:

Maybe the size has something to do with why some people can't see it.

Here's a smaller version:

IMG_2981.JPG

I see the picture. Would it be possible to get a shot of the pitchers too?

That moss is rather common. It doesn't do any damage. It's up to you whether or not to remove it.

Jason

I see the picture. Would it be possible to get a shot of the pitchers too?

Sure thing!

IMG_2986.JPG

All I have right now is this overhead one, since I was going for getting a picture of the moss.

On the note that this moss is not sphagnum and is common...what is it? I always thought this was the beginning of sphagnum. It is in all my pots, and I leave it be.

That moss is all too common, a nuisance and cosmetic issue, and is unlikely to affect your plants in any way. By summer's end, I manage to collect half the grass species in Northern California. You're far better off with that moss . . .

I get that moss too, usually in the wettest pots. I actually save the moss during repots and apply it as a top layer for the pots afterwards. It makes a great contrast to dark colored pitchers.

It won't harm Sarracenia at all. It can choke smaller, slow-growing plants (such as dormant temperate sundews) though, so you may want to keep it from colonizing the pots of your other plants. (I nearly lost D. anglica to a similar moss - it's grown in thick enough that when I try to remove it I end up tearing up the one remaining anglica plantlet.)
Otherwise, that looks like a nice find - a little underlit but the rhizome seems large and the pitchers vigorous. It'll look really good after a month or so under the sun.
~Joe

That's good news. If it's not harmful, I think I'll keep it there, because I kind of like how it looks. Makes it look more like wildlife and not a houseplant.

It's just carpet moss. If you don't like it, it dies in low humidity and less boggy conditions.

Back