What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenias Lying Down

I don't know if this is a problem or if maybe I just planted my pitchers too shallow, but a couple of my pitchers are practically lying down. They'd look a lot better standing up.

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

What seems to be the problem? Or isn't it one at all? Do some just like to lie down?

I'm just starting out with Sarracenia, but I wonder if it is a function of how much light they are receiving. I suppose you would always try some stakes. You can get a large package of bamboo chopsticks at Wal-Mart for extremely cheap, along with some green thread and that might solve the problem fairly easily.

Happens all the time..many of my pitchers blow over from a heavy thunderstorm..
older pitchers will often fall over from the weight of bugs they catch!
I sometimes rig metal "hoops" to hold them up..
I will look for some photos and post them..

My theory is that Sarracenia pitchers are naturally weak at the base..
one pitcher, by itself, in the wild doesnt have much a chance of standing upright for long..
instead they rely on thick stands/clumps to hold each other up!

if you look at photos of wild clumps, the pitchers in the center stay upright because of all the pichers around them, the grouping as a whole provides support for individual pitchers, but pitchers on the edge of the clump will often fall over, because they dont have the support..

so basically..its natural, and there is nothing much you can do about it, except rig some supports if you want to.

Scot

here is a photo of my S. minor clump from last summer:

CP2008-057.jpg

notice its only the pitchers on the egde of the clump that have fallen over..

We had a big thunderstorm a few nights ago..lots of wind, my S. minor clump, which before the storm had all pitchers upright, after the storm looked just like the photo above..

I made a "hoop" out of wire, a circle of wire held up by three wire "legs", just like this peony hoop, but smaller:
http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/pottstown/ktoth/uploaded_images/peonycage2-702105.jpg

The diameter of the hoop is about the same as the diameter of the pot..
Now the hoop hold up all the pitchers on the edge of the clump..
I will take a photo of the rig tonight..

I have also made smaller supports for one or two pitchers..
from wire or old metal clothes hangers..
here is a pic of one from years ago:

CP-1996-04.jpg

Scot

I have also made smaller supports for one or two pitchers..
from wire or old metal clothes hangers..
here is a pic of one from years ago:

Scot

Scott, do any of your wire hangers rust due to being in soil that is consistently wet (and acidic)? I've always thought about using metal wire, but am afraid that they could possibly release "bad stuff" into the soil due to the fact that the soil is always moist.

I usually use plastic rods and sting for the taller pitchers.

What seems to be the problem? Or isn't it one at all? Do some just like to lie down?

Another thing: some species produce very weak pitchers early in the season, such as S. rubra. Not sure what your plant is, but it appears to be some sort of rubra, or a hybrid containing S. rubra. So I would expect pitchers at this time of year to be a little floppy. Also, if you just got it, it may have been neglected if you got it at some chain store like Lowe's. Or even mail-order, it may be in a little shock right now. As long as it keeps it's color and starts growing new pitchers, then i wouldn't worry.

Hopefully, if pittsburg wins the cup, the pitchers will stand themselves up ;) like the fans in the stands were during tuesday's game. GO PENS GO!!!!

I have to agree,

Once they are in a "pack" they begin to have support from their neighbor and begin looking like a group. They also grow along taller grasses which can do the same effect.

Here's photo from one of meadowviews water beds to highlight the effect. Also pack the media very hard, we just had heavy rains and my pots 'loosened' up a bit due to the higher water level... soon after they are now flopping all over the place as well.

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Meadow View 2008
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hopefully, if pittsburg wins the cup, the pitchers will stand themselves up ;) like the fans in the stands were during tuesday's game. GO PENS GO!!!!

Never saw my Sarracenias stand so tall! :-D

Mine will do that after repotting, i've noticed that the deeper the bog i have the less this seems to happen, though it eventually does as the plant gets larger and older pitchers die off.

Back