What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting S. oreophila activity…

joossa

Aklys
I have had my S. oreophila “Alabama” for two years now. Last year it made only one crop of pitchers at the beginning of the season. After all the initial pitchers opened up in the spring, it made phyllodia up until it went dormant in late fall. I should also mention that when I got it it was mature (flowering age).

This season, I am noticing different activity. It sent up a crop of initial pitchers back in March and April. However, about three weeks ago, I noticed that it has started to send up a second batch of pitchers. Now, some of those pitchers are opening up. To my surprise, the pitchers have a much more prominent venation pattern than the first crop (and I’m not complaining!).

I took some pictures. These are from the first batch from March:

P6110096.jpg

P6110091.jpg

These are some of the recent ones that opened up a few days ago:

P6070030.jpg

P6110085.jpg

We are having very cool weather here (in the 70’s). The weather has been around 20 degrees below average for several weeks now. I’m wondering if the cool temps could have influenced this. Last year my area was well into the mid to high 90’s by this time.

Any thoughts on why its doing this this year?

Wow the veination is incredible on that last picture. Sounds like you've got one of those plants that doesnt like root disturbance and it's finally settled in. Seems to be kinda like wine, only gets better with age haha
Congrats on some incredible pitchers!

Wow the veination is incredible on that last picture. Sounds like you've got one of those plants that doesnt like root disturbance and it's finally settled in. Seems to be kinda like wine, only gets better with age haha
Congrats on some incredible pitchers!

Thanks. :)
I don't know about the root sensitivity, though. I did a complete division of growth points and repot this past February.

Welp I take that back then lol. It's a plant that just had to grow a bit lol.
Hopefully it'll keep making pitchers like that for you all the way through september/october!

I had something similar happen to one of my oreo clones 2-3 years ago. However, my transformation coincided with a relocation which changed pure sunlight time from 5-6 hrs / day to 10-11 hrs.....

Wow, pretty pictures. That's crazy, I thought S. oreophila was a no-no in cultivation without some special CITE certificate or something?

Wow, pretty pictures. That's crazy, I thought S. oreophila was a no-no in cultivation without some special CITE certificate or something?

CITES regulates the distribution. If you know someone who has one, they're free to give you one. They're not allowed to get any sort of compensation, IIRC. So, you can be gifted one, but you cannot buy one across boarders. There are growers/nurseries that have some sort of CITES certification and are allowed to make intrastate sales. I do believe that the certification is only if you wish to sell the plant. Now someone tell me I'm completely mistaken! :)

Very nice pitchers, Joosa! It's always nice to see colours/venation develop through a growing season.

Now someone tell me I'm completely mistaken! :)

You're COMPLETELY MISTAKEN!

...No actually I think you're right on about that. ;) Now someone needs to tell me that i'm mistake.

Oh, and those are some very nice veins in your oreophila! Mine are completely green for some reason :(

Hm, the ICPS says you need a CITES somethingorother to get Oreo seed from them, so...

Anyone ever done that, btw? I think that would be an interesting project.

I think it goes something like this:

Over state lines:
-No trading/selling unless you have a CITES permit.
-Giving it as a gift (completely free and no shipping charge) is okay.

Within a state:
-Trading/selling is okay.

This applies to:
-Sarracenia oreophila
-Sarracenia alabamensis ssp. alabamensis
-Sarracenia jonesii
-Any of the listed plants' cultivars/varieties, registered or unregistered.

Pollen and seed of any of these is to be considered the same as an individual plant of that species.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I got mine from someone within California, so I'm all good!

Hm, the ICPS says you need a CITES somethingorother to get Oreo seed from them, so...
Please take the time to read closely so:
- you get the correct info
- you keep from sharing the incorrect info to others :poke:

Here's the info quoted from the ICPS seedbank:
The ICPS can not distribute seed of plants protected by CITES Appendix I outside of the USA. If you do not live in the USA, please do not send CITES Appendix I seed to the Seed Bank unless you have CITES permits. These plants are Sarracenia alabamensis, S. jonesii, S. oreophila, Nepenthes khasiana, N. rajah, and Pinguicula ionantha.
(I bolded the word 'outside'). Folks inside the USA can get these seeds legally from the ICPS....

Really? Sweet!

I might give that a try, I have a nice enough rack setup going now, I could set up one of those seedling tray flat things and go nuts.

I take it the guy who keeps selling S. oreophila seeds on eBay is still breakin' the law, though, right? :)

It's fairly common to have a second flush of smaller, more heavily veined pitchers for a short period.

I don't think hybrids of a protected species are also protected. But then again, what do I know. (you don't need to answer that.)

Back