What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any info with darlingtonia cobra lily

Hi everyone Hope you are all doing good

well ok so i wanted to ask you some info as much as you can give me

so i have just took my cobra lily out of the fridge (Strat) and now i want some info well alot if possible lol

now i need to think of conditions for my cobra lily now im wondering should i put this in direct sunlight ? because this plant likes cool root as i heard also will this plant be ok inside of a walk in green house.

i also wanted to know will my purple pitcher be ok in a walk in green house along with my cobra lily if this is gonna be ok for my cobra lily ?

Richard

Hi Richard

You should be able to find all the info you are looking for here.

If you have a greenhouse, I recommend starting the seeds in there and then bringing them inside to a sunny window sill for the winter, as you are allowed to skip the first dormancy.
Next season, your S. purpurea and Darlingtonia should do fine in your greenhouse year round, if it is unheated.

Good luck with them!

thanks for the info yellow dart :) i shall do this i will post some pictures for everyone when they start to grow lol if they do :p

Richard

Sounds good!

I also have some cobra seeds stratifying. It'll be my first time starting them from seed too... so we'll see how it goes.

I've never had any luck getting Darlingtonia seeds to sprout... good luck! :) I tried one set after stratifying from 2/14 to 3/20 or so, there are still some of those seeds in the fridge, might try again... 16 weeks of stratification should be enough, eh? :D

Hey, with the skipping of dormancy, how far does that go? I have a few 2 year old Sarracenias incoming and a 3 month old Sarracenia sprout, I figure I'll be leaving the sprout out all night, the 2 year old Sarracenias, think they could stay under the grow lights all winter too, or should I plan to put those in the fridge?

Hi cantrell lol umm 3-4 weeks is enough to keep it in the fridge not 16 lol maybe the fridge killed the seeds

you can skip the first year of dormancy the second year it needs to have just let nature do its thing i guess :) thanks

Richard

With Darlingtonia I believe you can only do it for one year.

With Sarracenia it can be done for two, but no more than that; so you're going to have to give your 2 year olds dormancy this winter.
Look here for more info.

Back