What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr ID

Well, I thought this was just a straight up flava, but this much larger pitcher just popped up, now I'm wondering. I'll open the gates to opinions. Thanks!

Sarr1.jpg

Sarr2.jpg

Sarr3.jpg

There's clearly flava in this but I want to say I see a hint of rubra in it to. What ssp though I couldnt tell you!
Whatever you've got it's a nice looking Sarr!

Agree with rubra.

Jason

I hadn't been thinking about rubra... last year i bought a "canebreak sweet pitcher" from a vendor in Oregon. I thought that plant rotted as it just fell away to nothing mid season. Well I moved over the winter and pulled everything up out of the old barrels and put all the good rhizomes in this bog. looking at those pictures vs what is on Bob Z's site it looks a lot like alabamensis... makes me wonder.

I think it looks like s. oreophila.

Maybe from the veination, but I'd think oreophila would lend a more curled neck and a wider mouth. I'd say S. rubra ssp. alabamensis fits the bill pretty closely.

Jason

Last edited:
I was thinking that too, but I never have owned one. the big one poking its head into the shot in the first pic is one of my two oreo hybrids. other is oreo x leuco. It is obviously not one of those.

It could also be alata or alata x flava or one of those with rubra. Might never be able to tell for sure. Hopefully it'll flower for you next year.

Jason

Rubra ssp. alabamensis doesn't have veins on the top of the lid like that. Its also slightly pubescent and has very faint areoles. And like the entire rubra complex the pitchers never get leathery.

Your two options are Sarracenia flava and Sarracenia oreophila. You've never owned an oreophila so its a S. flava!

I guess I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it and see what becomes of it. Thanks for the inputs.

I agree with Oreo too. The lid and the veins are just hard to read. Lid wise I say Oreo but the veins are to defined. Maybe from flava?
Alabamensis doesnt have the veins on top but flava does.
It's hard to rule anything out, I'm just going by looks and that's never a certainty in any case.
My guess, flava, oreo, maybe rubra

Also looks like an oreo to me.

Can't be a pure flava, so i'll go with oreophila Sand mountain, from the veining patterns

S. alata. Post a shot from the side.

That's three for Oreo. I agree with CP that it looks more like oreo influence in there. The column is slightly thicker at the base and the veining does convey a sense of oreophila to me.

Ok here is a profile shot for you all.

Sarr4.jpg

here is my alata
alata.jpg

Well...my first guess is that it is not a primary hybrid of flava x alata. Although seedlings will show much variation this particular cross will usually send up rather tall and slender pitchers, so we can rule that out. It does seem to have a fair amount of oreophila in it though..as well as alata based on the hood development. I would say it COULD be (flava x alata) x oreophila or (flava x oreophila) x alata... or a combination thereof. What I don't see is any rubra influence. If there is any rubra in the lineage then it has been line bred out some time ago. I would need to see some really well developed flowers first and maybe some late season pitchers.

It also helps to see a fully mature, multiple growth plant that is several years old which has been left undisturbed. Sarr hybrids can change dramatically from new divisions to well aged specimens.

I talked it over with Pyro and our agreement is that it is most likely what is sold as rubra "canebreak sweet pitcher". looking back through my plant purchases there are only two candidates, it and and a plant from a group of flavas I bought from a different Oregon based web nursery. it isn't flava, so it ends up having to be the other.

If you are clever and figure out who I bought it from and check out the pictures it points to that plant.

Back