What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staking plants for support

I have many off my tall pitchers full of bugs getting knocked over as it has been very windy. Anyways I was doing electrical work in the house and took some of the black 12 gauge wire and made a corksrew type loop that seemed to maintain it structure so today I took it out to my bog and have it supporting many of my plants. My question is there is some copper exposed where it is staked in the ground will this potentially cause any problems and if so does anyone have other idea other then stick and string as I dont really like the look plus I have had picture bend over the support.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was going to leave the insulation on the part that was underground just in case copper damages plants.

I have many off my tall pitchers full of bugs getting knocked over as it has been very windy. Anyways I was doing electrical work in the house and took some of the black 12 gauge wire and made a corksrew type loop that seemed to maintain it structure so today I took it out to my bog and have it supporting many of my plants. My question is there is some copper exposed where it is staked in the ground will this potentially cause any problems and if so does anyone have other idea other then stick and string as I dont really like the look plus I have had picture bend over the support.

I left all of the insulation on except for where I had to cut it which again is only a small area that is exposed. One thought was to dip the ends in epoxy but didnt

I don't think that small of an amount will cause any harm... But if you want to be safe, you could try putting a plastic bag over the end of the wire and submerging it into the ground.

If you're worried about the wire, just bend it so the cut ends are above the soil line. Double it over so that the ends are on one side, and stick the side with the loop in the pot.
~Joe

As I'm paranoid of copper and it's phytotoxicity, I actually dipped the ends of the wire supports in Tooldip. Though the exposed area was small, I decided not to take chances.

You could fold the end of the wire and use some heat-shrink tubing, and a dab of epoxy on the end won't hurt, it should be sealed off pretty well.
My 2¢

Back