What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nooooo! Plants dried out bad!

It's super duper hot here in Florida right now and I keep my plants in the window sill. We got a cat a few months ago and she likes to get up there and try to eat the plants so we keep the shade down to where she can't get up there. Well anyways, had been remembering to water them pretty often but this past week I guess I forgot and i went to water them today and man they were dried out! The super big pitcher plant looked horrible. Alot of the pitchers were kinda crinkley and the tops were all folded up. There was a new pitcher growing which as of right now is like.. 2-3 inches taller than any of the tallest ones before. My adalae was really dried out too. Anyways I drenched them with water.

This ever happen to anyone on here and did your plants live? I realize it's hard to tell HOW dry they actually got but it was pretty bad. I assume as long as cytorrhysis didn't occur in the cells the things should live. Any way to tell if it's beyond repair? Really sucks, just once lapse in remembering to water and years worth of plant destroyed. The pitcher plant is really getting huge.

Hey Yaric, long time no see!

Your plants sound like they should be fine from your description. I've had the same thing happen a few times and every one of my plants perked back up.

There isn't any browning, correct?

No, no browning but they just look bad, maybe i'll try to get a picture or two.

Where you one of the people I sent VFT seeds to?

Pictures will help, but it still sounds like they will be fine.

Yes, I was one of the seed recipients. Thanks again! :)

I would think they'll be fine, especially if they're indoors. I've suffered through some dry spells with mine outside and they've all survived. I actually just found one of my favorite one-year old seedlings, a Scarlette Belle x Hummer's Hammerhead cross I did, completely removed from the pot (birds I presume). No idea how long it's been out, and we had a scorcher today, by WI standards. It doesn't look good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here is the damage. Looks terrible. Should I keep out the heat for a day or two or just leave it be? This plant was the one that was doing the best and just starting growing like crazy once the cold went away. Now this :(

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

They look totally fine. The pitchers themselves may not fully recover, but I think the plant itself will be fine. I'd probably wait a couple of days and see if the pitchers recover or if they stay dried out. If they start turning brown, i'd cut them back to the healthy green tissue.

Yeah, that's dehydration wilting. Some of my strawberries have done that on accident, and sometimes new plants I get do that after a few days due to (lack of) humidity shock. You'll get fresh new growth to replace that stuff, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They might even recover!

Don't trim them until / if they turn brown, though, as I read somewhere Sarrs will suck out all the nutrients out of the leaves they have decided are a lost cause.

Well at least you guys think they're okay. I hope the new growth keeps coming in large. They were getting mighty tall and the new one you can kinda see in one of those pictures was getting really really tall. It actually looks not that bad, maybe it diverted whatever water it had from the other pitchers to try to grow that one. We'll see I guess...

i've had the same thing happen and they recovered perfectly just keep watering!

Well now that things are kinda stable it looks like the top half of basically all the picthres is going to die. The bottom halfs of them plumbed back up and looks normal just the tops are still really shriveled and looking bad. At least it still has some chlorophyll to keep it going. Hopefully it doesn't go get sick or something now :(

The plant looks fine. Somehow, one day, one of my cape sundews got knocked out of its pot and it was laying in 90 degree hot weather for about 2 hours, and I just put it back in the pot when I saw it, gave it some water, and its putting out new leaves but the leaves it had browned and died.

Back