What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. x 'Dana's Delight' Is Phyllodia Crazy! :P

• Thread starter Capensis
  • Start date
Yep. My S. x 'Dana's Delight' is making phyllodia like crazy. Hehe.
DSC03230.jpg

Anyone having similiar growth patterns with their Sarracenias? I know phyllodia are used for photosynthesis purposes, but does S. x 'Dana's Delight' really need THAT much sun compared to others? None of my other Sarracenias are acting this way. I also recently moved my Sarracenias to a sunnier spot that doesn't get hit by sprinklers, so it should be all good in a few weeks.

Some of my older Sarracenia will throw out a few phyllodia from time to time, even during the active growing season . . .

Generally phyllodia means "get this plant some more light", right?

Yes, they are. But I just find it odd how it's the only Sarracenia doing this...

Generally phyllodia means "get this plant some more light", right?

I'm not so sure. I have a few plants that regularly throw out phyllodia at certain points in the year - usually at the start and end of the growing season. It's pretty reliably the same plants each year. Particularly, S. leucophylla and oreophila, and hybrids with those species as parents. So long as they aren't spindly and pale, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it makes you feel any better, my pot of Dana's Delight looks a lot like that at the moment.
Of course, increasing your light levels can generally only improve things, so feel free to give it more light if you can.
~Joe

Hmm, interesting. Is anyone else's looking like this?

By the way, I said I already moved it to a sunnier spot.

Mine looks like that, but it was divided this year, which i'm hoping explains it.

So I guess S. x 'Dana's Delight' isn't much of a spring grower, huh? :x

Phyllodia production does not always mean that the plant is not getting enough light. Many plants, such as S. oreophila, S. flava, and S. leucophylla produce phyllodia as part of their yearly growing patters.

Dana's Delight has a heavy S. leucophylla influence, IIRC. S. leucophylla produces phyllodia during summer and then resumes pitcher production in late summer and throughout fall. Therefore, your Dana's Delight production of phyllodia should be considered as normal this time of the year.

Both of my 'Judith Hindle' plants (which are half S. leucophylla) are currently only making phyllodia.

I wouldn't worry too much. :) Wait 'till fall for the goodies to show up.

It's not that I'm worried or anything or asking if something's wrong, it's just...weird. Lol. The mini-bog S. leuco did make phyllodia as well, but it stopped recently. What amazes me is how my S. x 'Dana's Delight' transformed from a pitcher plant to just an ordinary looking plant. LOL.

Back