What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Ceph propagation technique

While googling around, (one of my favorite geeky pastimes) I found this:

"The second was simply to plunge
a stick into the ground an inch or so from the plant to a depth of about 3
inches - small diameter stick of about 1/4-1/3 inch. the result is that the
plant sprouts new "heads" near the holes within a month or two."

from, http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/list/cp99all.d/4004.htm

Has anyone ever tried this before? I have heard of plants growing out drain holes before, I guess the same concept. The roots pretty grow straight down, so i would thin there would be little chance of damaging them. I'll try it out today and report back. ???

I too had heard of that technique before, from some German growers in the 1990s, and had attempted it a few times without success. I think that, provided that your pot was sufficiently shallow (and mine were certainly not), the rhizomes and runners would have been particularly close to the soil surface . . .

From my experiences, the plant readily stems off new offshoots from the main growth and hence this technique might be just a "coincidence" more than anything. Everytime I have repotted a ceph, there was always atleast 1 to 2 new stemming growth points from the main CORM stem.

Back