What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheeto Safter (Has to do with sarrs)

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I was wondering if i could use cheetos as an ant attractant, then drop it in to my sarrs when it gets full of ants, or should i just put the ants in. would the cheetos be safe

Well, seeing that they're outside, they should be catching a bunch of insects on their own. I would say that Cheetos wouldn't safe to be on the safe side...But if you REALLY think that they aren't catching enough insects,(which doesn't really matter since they can live without eating, as long as they get plenty of light and water) then try experiementing with just one pitcher, see if it rots or not. I would think that the Cheeto would clog up the pitcher anyway, meaning ants wouldn't get to the bottom and be digested.

So, if I were you, I woulnd't try it. I would just collect ants and other bugs. I guess using Cheetos to collect them is fine, but actually putting them in the pitchers probably isn't.

yeah, i was just wonering. I have some plants that are doing good, some doing GREAT, and i was going to maybe feed like a catesbaie or so. but i wont

yeah, i was just wonering. I have some plants that are doing good, some doing GREAT, and i was going to maybe feed like a catesbaie or so. but i wont

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

They should be producing nectar which attracts the ants if grown properly.

yeah, its just there's barely never any near the bog

yeah, its just there's barely never any near the bog

That's because Sarrs dont really prey on ants, except maybe purps. Main prey items are flies and wasps. I'd stay away from the cheetos idea. Ants dont live in bogs, it's just too wet. If they did then there would be a Sarr that would have evolved a way to attract them, stick with mother nature and let em catch their own prey, mine are filled to the top.

Plus our own Ant might read this thread and I dont think he's going to be too happy... :)

The ants found my windowsill and stuffed the pitchers all of the nepenthes growing there. Shortly after they found my table of plants outside and you can see them crawling around on my sarracenia.
You don't need to use food to attract the insects. Halt is right, the nectar attracts the insects.

My sarras are near filled up to the top with bees, wasps, earwigs, spiders, ants, flies...you name it, you dont need to add anything to them to help them catch anything.
i mean they evolved to be like the way they are TO catch bugs, not to have someone feed them puffed up cheesy poofs in an attempt to attract more insects....if you really feel the need to feed them, go buy some crickets or somethin...

S. minor loves ants!

But if you want to use something to attract flies, there's no harm. Not sure Cheetos would be that effective though!

But don't feed them though. They're aren't designed to eat corn and will just rot.

Try leaving a torch near them at night. The moths should crowd round.

good idea alexis! i am planning on using the "fish in the bog" soon, with a dead feeder fish

Back