What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you root Darlingtonia stolons?

petmantis

ermahgerd
I just cut off a stolon from my Darlingtonia, it has 4 pitchers on it. I was wondering, how do you get it to make roots? Right now it has the part of the stolon (which was cut) under sphagnum moss, so it doesn't dry out. Do I do anything to help it root in? Or just leave it there, and it'll grow? I'm keeping it in the same pot as the mother plant for now

I think people usually only cut off the ones with roots already on them.
But my best guess is that it will make roots on it's own.

Ive cut stolons without roots many times on my darlingtonias.
just stick the stolon end down in some live LFS and keep it cool and wet. thats all you need to do.
if this is the coastal variety, im not sure how finicky its going to be, but my coastal variety is easy to take and root the stolons from.

Well, nvm this thread, it died overnight, lol. Crap.... :( i guess i should've waited for it to make bigger leaves and root by itself. At least i have a much better looking stolon that's alive. :)

I take the stolons without growth nor roots. I bury them under some peat and keep them moist and cool. They sprout and grow normally.

One that I gave to Adam had just growth. I don't know what he did to his.

Could, in theory, use some Rooting Hormone, like Olivia's gel.

I've never tried rooting hormones. I think that they wouldn't do much. I've checked on the stolon cuttings today, and the have numerous, seven-inch-long roots. The tag says that I started them two months ago.

Back