What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling ceph

I need to ask for some advice and help with my struggling ceph. He keeps on sending out shoots, that turn black, dry up, and died after a while. The rest of my cephs are all doing fine and they are all in the same environment except for this one which is giving me trouble. I media is the same in my watering is the same. Do you think I should dig the whole thing up again?

ceph.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/ischan01/ceph.jpg

The soil has to dry out between waterings... so maybe it makes roots and then the part of the roots get killed off then regrows ? :p

That's odd. Is this Ceph older than your others? It's weird how all the others are doing find but this one isn't perhaps it's another matter like pest or something?

This ceph is probably older than the rest and has matured more. The big difference is the rest are typical but this one is a hummer's giant :(

I don't want to lose it....

Hmm, I don't think 'Hummer's Giant' or a typical would really need different conditions. Even though I have a Ceph, I don't have much experience. Hopefully an expert will come along. :)

When was the last time you repotted it? Cephalotus die back is very common after a repot. What is your potting media? Lighting? Temps?
It can be a number of things. I recommend that when you water, don't let it touch the crown. (Growth point) and let it get a little dry between waterings.

I would very carefully, with some tweezers gently pry out the dead tissue. And then spray some fresh neem or other safe anti-fungal, and like others said cut back on the watering. Are you doing everything else "by the book", distilled water, no or minimal fertilizer, proper soil, light etc...? I might pull the live sphagnum back, at least temporarily until it recovers, in case it is harboring any pathogens.

Pretty much the same thing happened to one of mine a few months back after moving it from my plant cabinet to a window sill to try and get cooler night temps. I removed the dead tissue from the top of the growth point / crown and it recovered and sprouted like 6-7 new points from the top of the old crown.

Back