What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joossa

Aklys
I wanted to hold off seeking help to see if they would recover by themselves first, but things aren’t looking up and I am now pretty confused. This is regarding my two S. ‘Judith Hindle’ clones.

I got them last year in the fall and they did fine. They went into dormancy and came out with no problems. This spring they seemed normal, throwing up a couple of good sized pitchers (bigger than last year).

Over the last couple of weeks they’ve been acting strangely. At first, I thought they were just transitioning into a phyllodia producing mode because they are half S. leucophylla and because summer was underway (leucos make phyllodia in the summer). However, even though they did make some normal phyllodia, most of their current growth is now very strange. It’s very thick, almost like succulent leaves, curved, and deformed.

While throwing up these thick and twisted leaves, both plants decided to make some normal looking pitchers and then some more abnormal growth and then normal pitchers again! I don’t know what to think!

I haven’t seen evidence of pests. No aphids, spider mites, or mealy bugs. The rhizomes are nice and firm, and like I said, continue to make new growth. Both clones are in different pots, have multiple growth points, and are in close proximity to all my other Sarrs and other CPs. All my other ones (an oreo, multiple purps, an S. x wrigleyana, and others) are growing just fine. All are under full sun, get top watered daily, and are in large enough pots with a proper CP growing mix.

Here are some pictures:

The ones on the left were made in early spring. The one on the right just opened a couple of days ago after it made the funky growth.

1002.jpg

There are two of the biggest rhizomes. No evidence of pests and both are making new leaves, some strange and some normal.

1001.jpg

Here is some of the strange growth:

1004.jpg

1003.jpg

Very thick almost succulent leaf:

1005.jpg

And in the midst off all the strange growth, it is also making this normal looking pitcher:

1006.jpg

Do any of you have any ideas as to what is going on or suggestions on what to do to find out what is going on?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

looks like some kind of insectoid attack, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there, or were there. since you have new growth that seems unaffected, it was probably just some transient that saw some fresh leaves emerging and had themselves a little snack. i get similar looking pitchers from time to time, but never notice any pests either. I just chalk it up to mother nature being mother nature.

Those were from Trader Joe's? It's possible they were fertilized and you are only now seeing the effects. I trust you repotted them into new media.

Something similar happened to my S. x readii a few years back. I suspected thrips and treated with a systemic insecticide. The problem went away, either on its own or from the systemic. I was never able to identify a pest.

FYI:
http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sarracenia&action=display&thread=932&page=1

Note: not all species of thrips cause the "silvery" damage.

Last edited:
The exact same thing happened to my Sarracenia minor, but it has no pests. The problem was, S. minor seems to hate cold, so in effort to grow leaves in preparation for summer (during our somewhat chilly Canadian spring) it made a mutated pitcher just like the ones you have.....I am not entirely sure what is happening to your plant, but if the climate in your area is a bit chilly, maybe the JH (with parentage of leucophylla) could be acting in the same way as my S. minor?

Anyways, my S. minor has come back from making mutated pitchers and has opened a decent one yesterday.

That was my impression too when I looked at the pics. When something like this happens to my plants I make up funny disease names like "crazy legs", "the sloppy joe" or "born with the *******". I hope this helps.

looks like some kind of insectoid attack, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there, or were there. since you have new growth that seems unaffected, it was probably just some transient that saw some fresh leaves emerging and had themselves a little snack. i get similar looking pitchers from time to time, but never notice any pests either. I just chalk it up to mother nature being mother nature.

Looks like thrips or similar pest damage to me. Did the normal leaf pop up during a rainy period?

Those were from Trader Joe's? It's possible they were fertilized and you are only now seeing the effects. I trust you repotted them into new media.

Something similar happened to my S. x readii a few years back. I suspected thrips and treated with a systemic insecticide. The problem went away, either on its own or from the systemic. I was never able to identify a pest.

FYI:
http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sarracenia&action=display&thread=932&page=1

Note: not all species of thrips cause the "silvery" damage.

Thanks for the info! Yes, they were both from Trader Joe's from last year. Both were repotted into new growing media before dormancy.

Looks like thrips or similar pest damage to me. Did the normal leaf pop up during a rainy period?

I've been getting normal pitchers on and off in between the production of those wacky leaves. I live in the desert, so no rain.

Alright, so I've decided to give them a full repot with fresh media. I will also divde them and inspect the rhizomes more closely as well. Finally, I'll apply some systemic insecticide, Ortho's Systemic (Acephate).

Thanks for the help and info everyone!

Well, I treated them both with systemic insecticide twice. They showed some leaf burn on the tips and edges, but nothing too serious. Things seem to be getting back to normal now....

P8150018.jpg

P8250037.jpg

It agree that it could also be an aphid or thrip problem, particularly if you now have some normal leaves being produced. Aphids, in particular, tend to attack things seasonally; and, later in the Summer, I rarely see either of them . . .

Hmm mine did the same thing but only with one pitcher. No insecticide, no aphids. I see a color difference though. I have no idea if it's normal or not but the rest of the plant looks fine.
IMG_2451.JPG

Whatever it was, it was probably either very well hidden in the foliage, very very small, or in the soil. I inspect my plants on a daily basis and I swear I never saw anything.

Back